Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads in podcasts (not read by podcaster) despite premium account.

Ads in podcasts (not read by podcaster) despite premium account.

I've had a premium subscription for years now.  But when listening to podcasts I get ads injected, by Spotify, why is this?  (I know they come from spotify because if my VPN is set to my home country there are no ads, while e.g if set to Norway I get Norwegian ads)

8 Replies

Hey @bjarkih77,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for this post!

Spotify doesn't play advertisements for our Premium users but some podcasts may include ads in their content. Generally, it's up to the podcast creators if they would like to have third-party advertising, host-read endorsements or sponsorship messages in their episodes. We provide this option to podcast creators as an extra way to help them monetize and live off of their content. 

Seems like there are other Community folks that also don't like ads and have already created an Idea about removing ads from Podcasts. If you'd like to see this implemented, go ahead and check this idea here. Make sure you leave a +Vote to support it, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

You'll also find all the relevant info about our Idea Exchange and how the Community feedback gets implemented here, if you'd like to know more about the topic.

Hope this clear things up,

Cheers! 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

So why were ads in Norwegian inserted into a British podcast?

Hey there @bjarkih77

Thanks for getting back to us.

Currently there is no way to select a language for the ads you're getting. Ads are automatically generated based on the country/ region you are currently in. However, this can vary if you're using a VPN. 

On another note, we don't recommend using a VPN since it can affect the app performance. 

Hope this helps. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

"Currently there is no way to select a language for the ads you're getting. Ads are automatically generated based on the country/ region you are currently in. However, this can vary if you're using a VPN. "
But my complaint is based on the fact that I have a premium subscription so I shouldn't be getting any ads. 

Hey @bjarkih77

Thanks for your reply. 

As @Lyubka mentioned previously, Spotify doesn’t play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, but some podcasts may include advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship messages.

Spotify gives the podcast hosts the option to choose if they would like to have a dynamic ad slot in their podcast, but that isn't something Spotify can control - it's up to the individual podcast owners if they choose to have that type of ad in their content.

We suggest that you take a look at this and this article for more info.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

As I've stated before this is not a host-read ad since it's in another language and read by other people. 
Regarding the 'dynamic ad slot' why is that pushed on premium subscribers on Spotify?  I though I was paying for an ad-free experience.

United emirates commercials i  hebrew, sound. Popping in the middle of podcasts. Definitely a commercial, one I shouldn't be getting with a paid account

The essence of Premium is an ad-free experience. Introducing ads contradicts this principle and devalues your service. I am considering canceling my subscription if this continues. This issue is about respecting consumer principles.

Suggested posts