Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Cover song

Cover song

I want to do a cover of “Bakamitai” to put on Spotify, I’ve seen plenty of covers on YouTube but I figure that it’s a bit different for Spotify (although I’ve seen covers on Spotify of similar stuff), does anyone know if I do an English cover will it breach copyright, meaning I’d need permission from the company, or as long as I write every part and don’t just use the original/official audio (see Cage the Elephants “The Unforgiven” cover) would it not breach copyright, or would I still need specific permission?

3 Replies

Hey there @junkins_T .

When making a cover, you'd probably need permission from the original owner rather than Spotify.

If possible, you could get an opinion of someone who deals with artist releases on a regular basis.

(I don't know if @geovanebento might offer more advice on what type of content  breaches copyright rules)

Alternatively, you can get in touch with the artists concerned and find out from them how you can go about  it.

In any case, good luck and you should notify me via this post if you do get to end up uploading the cover to Spotify 🎧🖤

TaylithSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I should’ve specified, sorry, it is an original song created for a karaoke mini game in a game called Yakuza, would that be different from an artists single/song? Or should I try to somehow get in contact with the games licensing team just in case 

Very good Explanation Thylith! Yea! 👏👏👏 To release a re-recording you need authorization and this authorization can come from the author himself, the record company or publisher. The right thing to do is to contact these bodies. You Junkins can also talk to the aggregator who intends to publish the song on Spotify. In many cases, the aggregator obtained the necessary authorizations for the publications.

Suggested posts