Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Does Spotify play first the downloaded or the streamed version of dowloaded songs/episodes?

Does Spotify play first the downloaded or the streamed version of dowloaded songs/episodes?

Plan

Premium

Country

BR

Device

(Samsung Galaxy A54/A50)

Operating System

(Android / Samsung ONE)

My Question or Issue

I could not clearly find out (anywhere, be it the app or the spotify website) whether when I download a song or an episode (they are in "My Episodes" with a green "downloaded" icon) the version to be played is the downloaded or the streamed version, regardless of me being in offline mode or not.

More schematically, I always assumed that whenever I download a song/episode, Spotify would play:

When in offline mode / without network:

- the downloaded version;

When online on a Wifi / 4g/5g network:

- I expect to Spotify to look for and to play from the dowloaded version first, especially when on a 4g/5g connection.

I would like to confirm if my understanding is right. Should it happen otherwise, I would like to know how to suggest to have an option for doing this way implemented (metadata from "offline yet online" plays can be done anyways, reasonable checks would be for download integrity, such as CRC/MD5, whatever, and for plan validity, which won't possibly harm any users' data plan from their carrier)

1 Reply

Hey @JHMelman, welcome to the community, and thanks for your post! Yes, if you've downloaded a song or podcast episode, Spotify should only be playing the downloaded version. For more tips for reducing data usage, please check out this page; you might also consider enabling the data saver mentioned on that page if you'd like to further minimize data used by the app.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts