Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I disable certain artist or genre?

Solved!

How do I disable certain artist or genre?

Plan: Premium

Device: PC 

Operating System: Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Is there a way to disable certain genres or artist?

I listened ONCE a Vivi Pedraglio episode to try to sleep and I didn't liked it a all.  Since then, my home page keeps showing me suggestions about "Messages of light", "Ascending masters", "We are the gods of our destiny", "Lucid dreams", "Mental programming"... I don't like any of those subjects at all!!

Please provide a way to stop seeing unwanted content. I remember long ago there was a feature to "unlike" specific songs. What happened to it??

I know that mixing "like" and "unlike" algorithms is a mess, however you can just add a  "blacklist/block artist" feature, that'll be enough because I'am willing to go to every artist that uploads those subjects regularly and blacklist'em all.

Another cool way to solve this would be a "blacklist tag" feature, so I can blacklist "mediation" stuff, of course you'll need to tag to all your content. However, I think that's a feature your algorithm can benefit later on.

spot.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Lu15-CL4 ,

Thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community!

Currently, the ability to block a particular artist's discography from being played only able to be done on a Phone or Tablet. I have attached instructions below if this is possible for you.

1. Head to the “Artist” page of the performer you no longer wish to listen to.
  2. Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner.
  3. Tap the “Don't play this artist” option from the dropdown menu.

Songs by this artist are then no longer played on your device and they will be skipped automatically if it is in a playlist. Unfortunately this is only available on Phone/Tablet devices and does not work for other devices such as Desktop devices as of yet.

The ability to block a particular genre, however, is not currently a feature, but may be investigated in the future. To let Spotify know that you also have this request, I suggest giving a +Vote to this thread. The more likes a thread receives, the more likely it is to be implemented sooner.

I also suggest, to personalize your music further, to keep actively following artists you like and unfollowing any you don't. By going to the Fans also like page you are also able to have a look at some suggestions of other artists - and the more your library grows, the better Spotify is able to filter genres you enjoy and filter out the genres you don't.

Hope this helps! Let me know how you go. 🙂

Kind Regards,

BK

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @Lu15-CL4 ,

Thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community!

Currently, the ability to block a particular artist's discography from being played only able to be done on a Phone or Tablet. I have attached instructions below if this is possible for you.

1. Head to the “Artist” page of the performer you no longer wish to listen to.
  2. Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner.
  3. Tap the “Don't play this artist” option from the dropdown menu.

Songs by this artist are then no longer played on your device and they will be skipped automatically if it is in a playlist. Unfortunately this is only available on Phone/Tablet devices and does not work for other devices such as Desktop devices as of yet.

The ability to block a particular genre, however, is not currently a feature, but may be investigated in the future. To let Spotify know that you also have this request, I suggest giving a +Vote to this thread. The more likes a thread receives, the more likely it is to be implemented sooner.

I also suggest, to personalize your music further, to keep actively following artists you like and unfollowing any you don't. By going to the Fans also like page you are also able to have a look at some suggestions of other artists - and the more your library grows, the better Spotify is able to filter genres you enjoy and filter out the genres you don't.

Hope this helps! Let me know how you go. 🙂

Kind Regards,

BK

This functionality doesn't work anymore.  I went to artist page trying to block them, but using the three dots in top right of artist page doesn't have option for Don't play this artist” 

Now I'm getting more recommendations for the artist I don't want to hear. That's really not what I want!!

Hey @djec99,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

It's sounds really odd that the "Don't play this" feature is not present for you, but we weren't able to replicate this situation on our side. In such a case it's worthwhile to perform a clean reinstall of your app, as this is more thorough than the normal one and ensures that no cached data is causing troubles. See if this will shake things up and make the feature appear as expected.

If this doesn't resolve the situation, please share with us your exact Spotify version, as well as the specs of your device (make, model and OS version).  Also some screenshots or a short video would be of great help, so we can take a closer look and be able to advise you better. 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The "don't play this" capability is needed on a laptop/desktop device as well.

Hey @Salza,

Thanks for your reply 🙂

We just wanted to jump here to let you know that another user had a similar request, so they posted this idea about it. 

Even though the status is set as Case Closed, it doesn't mean the idea has been rejected. We’d suggest adding your vote in the thumbs up icon and subscribing to the idea to get notified as soon as we have any updates to share.

We hope you found this helpful. Let us know if you need anything else. 

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts