Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Japanese Music

Japanese Music

Will we get larger J-pop song since Spotify just launch in Japan?

8 Replies

If you want to find more songs from this country you could look up spotify japan in the search bar, This should bring up top hits playlist and others like that from japan.

Sadly, for now, not much has changed. Spotify has a lot of nice music to offer to Japanese citizens, but not for the western world. If you wan't a stronger selection of music, you could go Amazon Prime Music. They started later but already got way more music to choose from. It's really kinda sad ๐Ÿ˜•

Hey @zamanchem

Spotify tries really hard to get music available on their service, but in the end the availability of music on Spotify is up to the artist and their music label.

This thread by Spotify staff explains why some music is not available:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/I-want-an-artist-song-on-Spotify/td-p/1136005

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hm. You are kinda wrong. Music is on Spotify, but restricted to some countrys only. So despite the linked topic sounding all lovely dovey, everything will be fine soon, it is just a blender. I mean: there is way more to licencing and rights management then meets the eye. And obviously it is easier to achieve streaming rights of Japanese Music for the Japanese peninsula. Nevertheless, the western world does exist too, and some of us westerners would like to enjoy japanese musik as well. 

So if I do write these artists: hey, dude, please bring your music to Spotify! And they reply: yo, already did it! Erm .. yeah, and now? It is the labels and rights managers that needa get those things right, and these aren't people that normally concern themselves with "us". You need to be Spotify or some major player to get them to do anything .

*Sigh* - why am I even explaining this. In the end, it is rather simple. The best service will fare as the most successful. Spotify is good. But for specific tastes, it is not the best.

Is the music selection tied to the country of the credit card, the country from which I am connecting or the country in the profile? I paid with my australian CC and selected AU as my country, but I am currently living in Japan and I would like available music to change accordingly. Does this make sense?

Makes a lot of sense. But I can't even tell you exactly how they do determine where you currently belong. Dunno if they use your credit card, your IP or whatever. If it really is the credit card, well, does mean bad luck I guess.

I'm in Japan currently and haven't noticed any more Japanese music being available. I agree it's pretty disappointing that there are so many older American and British bands on Spotify but it can be quite hard to find Japanese ones.
There's heaps of newer stuff on here though! Soichi Terada, Roy Comanchero, Cro-Magnon, Susumu Yokota, etc

Japanese Peninsula?

Suggested posts