Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Regional censorship?

Regional censorship?

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows if Spotify censors content based on area? I can't find a specific album on my home network, however if I use a VPN and switch to another country, the album is there... I mean clearly something is going on but does anyone here know specifically what the issue might be? The album is Farsotstider by the band Thyrfing.

4 Replies

Hi SaintScorpio!

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

It is possible that some contents on Spotify are limited to specific countries. This does not depend on Spotify but on music labels, artists, or legal owners that decide where they want their music to be available.

Spotify adds new contents every day, so if you can’t find something you’re looking for right now, it may appear (or reappear) soon.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Thank you for the quick response.
I assumed it was likely a government or label thing, I was just asking here in hopes of maybe getting an explanation or some insight as to why that particular album is missing but all of their other albums are there.
Does anyone have any speculation as to why? Could it be offensive album art or is there some kind of copyright infringement? I'm just, really confused to what might be keeping this particular album locked away and only in my country.

I know this is old but I have the same problem in '22. My guess is that certain regions are censored because of media licensing regulations; also i've seen a ton of dumb parents complain about cuss words in Spotify but they claim they don't censor it.

Some people don't want to go through the trouble of educating their children, they desperately want to shelter their kids from bad words instead of teaching them why they shouldn't use them in the first place **bleep**. And they are also too stupid to create a playlist with clean versions themselves, from what i've seen. Hopefully licensing companies will stop pandering to **bleep** parents and we'll be able to enjoy music the way the artists intended.

Hi @HSM_Ellie,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

Spotify is always trying to bring more and more content to everyone. However, keep in mind the availability of any (in different countries) content has a strict relation to licensing agreements. This depends on the artists or the right holders of said content. There's more info here

From our end, we'll be working to add more and more to the app, for this reason, it's possible that any content you don't find now, may appear later.

Remember the Community is here in case you need anything else. 

AndresMModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Suggested posts