Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Request for Sensitivity in Content Recommendations for Ukrainian Users

Request for Sensitivity in Content Recommendations for Ukrainian Users

Dear Spotify,

I am writing to address a concern that has significant cultural and emotional implications for many of your users, particularly in Ukraine. As you are aware, the ongoing imperialistic russian war in Ukraine, has had profound and painful effects on the lives of millions of Ukrainians. The war, marked by severe trauma, loss, and displacement, has deeply impacted the Ukrainian people's relationship with Russian language and culture.

In this context, a lot of Ukrainian users of Spotify have reported the platform's algorithm frequently recommending Russian content. This includes users who have not previously engaged with such content or have actively avoided it. For many, the Russian language has become inextricably linked to the suffering and anguish caused by the russians. Consequently, encountering Russian content on a platform intended for entertainment and relaxation can be distressing and triggering.

While I recognize Spotify's commitment to offering a diverse range of content to its global audience, I believe it is crucial to consider the unique and sensitive situation faced by Ukrainian users. To address this, I propose the following solutions:

1. Opt-Out Feature for Specific Content: Implement a feature allowing users to opt out of content from specific languages or regions. This will enable Ukrainian users to avoid Russian content and create a more comfortable and personalized listening experience.

2. Sensitive Content Recommendations: Enhance the recommendation algorithm to be more sensitive to the geopolitical context. This could involve reducing the frequency of Russian content suggested to users in Ukraine or those who have a history of engaging with Ukrainian content.

3. User Feedback Integration: Incorporate user feedback mechanisms to understand and adapt to individual preferences, especially in regions experiencing conflict or tension.

I understand that music and podcasts are universal languages that transcend borders and conflicts. However, in times of turmoil and strife, the cultural and linguistic nuances become more pronounced and carry a deeper significance. My request is not about limiting cultural exchange but about providing a safe and considerate listening environment for all your users, respecting their emotional and cultural contexts.

I hope Spotify will consider this request seriously and take steps to ensure its platform remains a source of comfort and enjoyment for everyone, regardless of their geopolitical situation.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

634 Replies

Completely agree! Hope spotify will react accordingly

I would absolutely like to have this implemented. I hate seeing some russian albums on my feed even though I've never listened to their music

I completely agree with this request! It's simply unbearable! I've been using Spotify since 2015, but lately, the overwhelming presence of Russian artists in my recommended playlists is just too much. Every week, I find myself spending an extra 15-20 minutes just to block Russian artists from my Discover Weekly, and in the end, I'm left with only 3-5 songs in the playlist. This is despite the fact that for the past two years, I've consciously avoided and haven't listened to Russian music on Spotify. Please, do something about this!

This is BASED

Huge agree! I'm so sick about getting russian music in recommendations, even I don't listen, follow or search for them. Would be really nice to have filter settings for that.

Yes and thank you!

A 100% useful request. I never listen to russian music, but Spotify keeps recommending me russian artists and songs in Discover Weekly and some other mixes. Also, it tends to throw russian music into some radio stations created with a Ukrainian song. I'd gladly block all russian music and artists at once by some filter to stop seeing them in any of my perdonalized playlists.

Completely agree!

++
Author completely described feelings about getting ru content by spotify algorithms 

IM UKRAINIAN AND I DONT WANT TO SEE/HEAR RUSSIAN MUSIC

I agree! For over a month, 80% of the music on my Discover Weekly and Release Radar playlists has been Russian, and it's driving me crazy. Interestingly, during this time, I've mostly been listening to Ukrainian music from my Liked songs or playlists featuring Ukrainian music from the 90s-2000s.

Yes! Please. I'm tired banning every single russian artist every time when release radar or "discover weekly" playlist are updated. The main reason I prefer spotify over youtube music is that I can't block artists on youtube at all. But it would be awesome to block all russian artists altogether and to never hear them again

Same for me. Know your pain((

Yes, please. Seeing Russian music in my personal space is just depressing. I've made a strong personal decision to avoid any Russian culture product, yet Spotify algorithms keep showing me these awful fascist artists from Russia.

I couldn't agree more! I hope Spotify will take this into account and will teach algorithm to not add russian artists to UA users recommendations.

Thank you.

Yes! Hope spotify will react accordingly

Absolutely support this request. Absolutely hate these days when I open my Release Radar and see another russian name in there that vocally (literally and figuratively) supports the war against my country by advocating for it and contributing their taxes to maintain the aggressor state country. I am a Premium user, and I am not paying my money to feel bullied by my own recommendations that have nothing in common with my activity on Spotify.

I strongly support this request!
It is extremely important for Ukrainians not to see content from the occupiers who support the war against Ukraine in Spotify recommendations. This war has brought death, destruction, and unspeakable suffering to the Ukrainian people. The Russian language and culture for many of us have become associated with aggression and cruelty.
We want to have the ability to block Russian content to be able to use Spotify without the risk of encountering content that can be painful or traumatic.
This is not about censorship, it is about protecting our emotional and psychological state. We do not want to sponsor the occupiers who are killing our people with our streams.
I urge Spotify to take this request seriously and give Ukrainian users the ability to control their listening experience.

I hope Spotify will react. It hurts to see russian artists who support a war in my recommendations

Suggested posts