Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Request for Sensitivity in Content Recommendations for Ukrainian Users

Request for Sensitivity in Content Recommendations for Ukrainian Users

Dear Spotify,

I am writing to address a concern that has significant cultural and emotional implications for many of your users, particularly in Ukraine. As you are aware, the ongoing imperialistic russian war in Ukraine, has had profound and painful effects on the lives of millions of Ukrainians. The war, marked by severe trauma, loss, and displacement, has deeply impacted the Ukrainian people's relationship with Russian language and culture.

In this context, a lot of Ukrainian users of Spotify have reported the platform's algorithm frequently recommending Russian content. This includes users who have not previously engaged with such content or have actively avoided it. For many, the Russian language has become inextricably linked to the suffering and anguish caused by the russians. Consequently, encountering Russian content on a platform intended for entertainment and relaxation can be distressing and triggering.

While I recognize Spotify's commitment to offering a diverse range of content to its global audience, I believe it is crucial to consider the unique and sensitive situation faced by Ukrainian users. To address this, I propose the following solutions:

1. Opt-Out Feature for Specific Content: Implement a feature allowing users to opt out of content from specific languages or regions. This will enable Ukrainian users to avoid Russian content and create a more comfortable and personalized listening experience.

2. Sensitive Content Recommendations: Enhance the recommendation algorithm to be more sensitive to the geopolitical context. This could involve reducing the frequency of Russian content suggested to users in Ukraine or those who have a history of engaging with Ukrainian content.

3. User Feedback Integration: Incorporate user feedback mechanisms to understand and adapt to individual preferences, especially in regions experiencing conflict or tension.

I understand that music and podcasts are universal languages that transcend borders and conflicts. However, in times of turmoil and strife, the cultural and linguistic nuances become more pronounced and carry a deeper significance. My request is not about limiting cultural exchange but about providing a safe and considerate listening environment for all your users, respecting their emotional and cultural contexts.

I hope Spotify will consider this request seriously and take steps to ensure its platform remains a source of comfort and enjoyment for everyone, regardless of their geopolitical situation.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

636 Replies

Plan

Free

Country

Australia

Device

Phone: Samsung, Home PC.

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Why cannot a 'deselect 'or 'delete' of certain music tracks be available on all 'apps' and the algorithm take note of selections requested? Is the AI unable to distinguish between Russian and Ukrainian languages,production sites etc??

Completely agree with you. I don't listen to russian music,  always put dislikes, but it still somehow makes it way back to me. 

I've just received a recommendation for new release of Russian artist Egor Kreed after spending whole morning reading mourning messages about my mate who died on the frontlines fighting against russian invaders. This is surreal. Spotify allowing russian artists to receive cash from the platform and also recommending russian releases to Ukrainians in the process is despicable. 

I don't want Spotify to offer me the music of a terrorist organization, because every citizen of the aggressor state is that state. This is written in the constitution of Russia.

Ban Russian music!!!

My Discover Weekly is FULL OF russians AGAIN! I never listened to any russians!!!!!  I already cancelled my premium because of this, but I will leave your platform for good if you don't fix it!

please block russion artist. russia kill people in ukraine right now

As a Ukrainian and a user of Spotify Premium I prefer not to listen to russian music and not support the agressor who invaded my country.

I hope Spotify will take this request seriously.

Absolutely agree. I need either better tools for regional moderation on my end, or better moderation effort on yours, Spotify. Show some sensitivity and respect, please.

People literally get PTSD after encounters with rus soldiers when hearing their language and Spotify casually putting it in their ears 

By the way, Ді3ер (I changed the name so no filtering should apply) removed russian music or it is appearing like that because I can find russian only deliberately, and maybe sometimes it can put some russian performers into my playlist. Also, they added a free subscription for old listeners so it's my main streaming currently.

Agree! Thank you!

I’m glad this issue has been brought up! I hate seeing russian recommendations in my Spotify account. 

please do something with the Release Radar recommendations that contain almost 40% of russian songsr for me, without any reason, without listening to any russian songs for a while. It’s just harmful. 

please do something about this, this is just a horrible experience

Spotify please do this, it is very painful to come across russian music. They are killing us, torturing us, and at this moment you are constantly pushing us the music of these terrorists!

Fully agree! Hope Spotify reacts sooner than later.

Fully in agreement. I hate having to go through and remove russian songs from my Discover Weekly, only to be recommended more the next week. If this does not get fixed, I will probably stop using Discover Weekly.

Suggested posts