Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Retirement of our Running Feature

Retirement of our Running Feature

Hey everyone, the Spotify Community team here.

We’re here to let you know we will be retiring our Running feature on 26 February 2018.

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

Of course, you can still workout with Spotify as your Running companion. You can find Running playlists in the Workout section of Browse section.

You can also connect your Spotify running music with an exercise app. Check out our support articles on Nike+ Run Club and Runkeeper for more information.

If you’re interested to learn more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

Please post here with any questions or feedback you might have. We’ll be sure it reaches the right teams.

Thanks!

814 Replies

I really hope you bring it back. I depended on this feature for my running goals. It sounds like a lot of people did. I’m sad that it’s no longer available. 

Thanks. I’m probably gonna get rid of Spotify now. I have no need for it now. 😞

This is the only reason I use Spotify and accept the premium subscription price. There's no reason for me to keep using this app without it. Your current "running" playlists are trash, to put it bluntly. Bring the running feature back or I'm out. 

I started running almost 1 year ago. I was in a bad place mentally, emotionally, and physically. Becoming a runner fixed me and possibly saved me.

Spotify running was my coach in a box. It pushed me, motivated me, and focused me.

This is silly to say, but I feel a noticeable loss now that this feature has been retired. Spotify I hope you reconsider this decision. 

Please bring back the Running Feature! It is the reason I'm using Spotify.

But why? And without any notice? I restarted my phone, deleted and redownloaded the app, and lost 20 minutes of working time. And then had to run to one of your playlists, which was full of... well, music that was decidedly not empowering for me to run to. 

Your reasons why do not give any reasons, other than sometimes you delete features. That is not a reason. 

I'll echo the others: no warning was quite rude, and this is the only reason I pay for a Spotify account. 

If you cannot keep the full running feature, PLEASE at least give us the running originals with a few BPM options, like you have with the other crappy playlists. 

Hey all!

You can find Running playlists by placing the following into Spotify's search bar:

spotify:genre:running

Seeing the feature go is saddening indeed.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Why?

This is the only reason I signed up for Spotify premium and use it All. The. Time. Once it’s on the platform, why would you remove it?? How does that benefit SpotIfy at all?? This decision simply sucks.

Plain and simple this was the most stupid decision ever made.

I don't need or want any new apps to "help me do" my running. I've got Spotify and got my HRmonitor+GPS clock. That should be enough as it was earlier. Actually it was PERFECT. Untill you decided to ruin it.

Nor do I want those playlists you offer, they don't serve our needs and the tracks are awfull. Variation between 160-170 is too much, especially if you need 155.

Bring it back.

Thanks.

At least get some playlists in the 180 range. Everything else is to slow for my pace. I LOVED the running feature. My only complaint was that the same songs played everyday I ran. PLEASE bring it back

That is simply ridiculus. Especially when you post "we close it down" in 12-page discussion that ask you to make it available offline. 

That is the only reason why I bought premium for the phone I take with me on runs. No any other reason to have premium, seriously. 

2 months ago I purchased 12-months premium for my wife - based only on _that_ feature. Now - are you kidding - paying for 12m upfront to learn that the feature I was purchasing is removed?? Are you really-really seriuos? 

At least make Running Originals available - with all BPMs. Many people (at least half of them was introduced to Spotify by me - advertizing this very running feature) use Running originals to help to keep their Target cadence (BPM). 

And none of them run 150-165 BPM - at any pace. They run 170-180 (aiming for 180, of course). 

HUGE dislike. 

I do stop my premium today. I cannot get money back from my wife's account unfortunately. 

This is truly truly disappointing and ill-conceived.  My Spotify subscription is no longer worth it. I know multiple runners training for marathons who agree with my sentiment. I foresee drop in subscriptions with this unfortunate decision. Nothing to set Spotify apart from any other music service at this point. 

I found this out the hard way this morning. This is a part of the app i use 3 times a week. The new playlists are rubbish. Please reinstate. 

You mean we can find this crappy new playlists, right (at least it shows it and nothing else). 

Is there any way to find Running Originals? 

You mean we can find this new playlists, right (at least it shows it and nothing else)? 

Is there any way to find Running Originals? 

I'm really disappointed that the running feature is gone! It was what got me up and moving on my runs. I think it was a huge mistake, and you are likely to lose a lot of customers because of it. I will likely switch over to Deezer, they at least have a larger selection of playlists of varying paces. I am truly disappointed Spotify. 

This feature is the only reason I was paying for Spotify.  Your new running playlists are unappealing, and they vary too much in pace.  Please bring it back.

My hands down favorite thing about the app and the only reason i keep it. Off to find something similar somewhere else i guess. I really had become dependant on this feature and recommended this to everyone i ever talked to! Sad times!

Huge dislike too! 

Will search for an alternative elsewhere .

Spotify could at least, leave the old playlists available. 

Suggested posts