Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle not working properly

Shuffle not working properly

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows, Android

So my problem with shuffle is it just ''restarts'' the configuration EVERYTIME you play something new (a new album or a new playlist), so if you just listen the same playlists everyday there is no problem here. But if you want to search for new content this is absolutely terrifying. And it did not used to work like this. Because one of the biggest qualities of spotify was how easy it is to browse through artists and to find new songs and new artists in general compared to youtube and other apps.

4 Replies

Also if anyone has a solution or just new information about  this i'd be glad to hear it. I've been using spotify for 8 years and a half and i've never had a problem of this magnitude before, despite the overall experience getting worse over the past years. So if i dont get any answers here ill be cancelling my premium services and only going back when this gets fixed, since this absolutely tears apart the experience and it's not a hard problem to solve.

Hi @Nicksy1257,

Thanks for your post here in the Community and welcome!

We'd like to get more info about the situation first. Just for clarification, Shuffle is a feature that allows you to listen to playlists in a randomized order each time. It wasn't specifically made to help users discover new music. And there's another feature called Smart Shuffle, which besides playing the tracks randomly, also adds personalized recommendations to your playlists (more info here). Which of these features are you having problems with? 

If possible, send over a more detailed description of the behavior, or you can send a video recording of it. You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Susan, I'll try to explain it like this

Shuffle used to be responsible for the whole spotify (the entire app), so if shuffle was on then it will be on for any playlist or album you chose. You just needed one click to change it.

Nowadays it works individually for every playlist, album etc, each one has it's on shuffle button, so everytime you go for a album or playlist you HAVE to select shuffle everytime. Also another downside of this is that the app just resets the shuffle configurations from ALL playlists/albums from time to time, so you have to turn it on in each playlist you listen to manually again, its just annoying and stressful in general.

My suggestion is to add an option for shuffle to start working like it used to.

Sorry for my English, its not my main language.

If it's not clear I'll record a video and post here 

Hey @Nicksy1257,

Thanks for clarifying.

Shuffle does indeed work this way currently and if you feel strongly about changing this behavior, we'd suggest sharing your thoughts in our Ideas board.

Regarding the resetting of the shuffle configuration, this shouldn't be happening so try some troubleshooting steps like reinstalling the app and making sure that its cache is not being cleared by some third-party app or service that optimizes your device's performance and let us know if the issue persists.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts