Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Songs from other albums from same artist added to playlist when I play an album

Solved!

Songs from other albums from same artist added to playlist when I play an album

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Windows Spotify App (not web player)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

As subject says, when I click the "play" button on an album, then all (previous/older) albums are added to the playlist after the current album. Really annoying.
Autoplay is turned off. This doesn't happen on the Android app. Plus, if I open the spotify app on my android phone, then I guess it "syncs" settings because afterwards the problem doesn't not appear on the Windows app anymore.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @mikibok,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We've received a confirmation that what you're seeing is expected behavior since the discography of an artist is "treated" as a playlist and all albums are added to the queue once you start playing one of them.

We appreciate your feedback however and we've made sure to pass it on to the team.

Cheers,

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey @mikibok ,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you check if you have other items in your Play queue? Here is how to do that.  Are you talking about the Play queue in general?

Does this happen when you play particular songs, not albums, as well?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to do more testing.
I realize now that I wrote "playlist" when I did mean "play queue". Sorry about that, I'm originally french speaking.

So yes I am talking about the play queue in general.
I'm doing more testing and will write back as soon as I'm able to find a pattern.
Thanks!

It seems to happen after I have listened to at least 1 or 2 albums from an artist.
I took a couple screenshots but I'm only allowed to post 3 in the board.

001: Played an album for an artist by clicking on the "play" button in thumbnail image.
002: In the queue, the album is present, but another album is added afterwards by it self.

Then I select these songs, right click and "Remove from queue".

003: Other songs/albums are added.

I'm not sure what triggers this though. I just tried another album by another artist and the problem did not occur. When I did this previously when I decided to post my original message, it happened for every artist.

003-removed-unwanted-album-and-others-added.png
001-play-album-safia-nolin-seum.png
002-queue-playing-and-other-album.png

Hey @mikibok,

Thanks for your reply and for all the info shared.

This is indeed odd behavior. In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you're running in the affected device? 

On another note, since you mentioned this is not happening on your mobile device, would you mind checking if this is happening on a different account? It’d be awesome if you could check. You can ask a relative or a friend to open their account on your computer and check.

Lastly, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hi!

Here is the Windows Spotify version: 1.2.7.1277.g2b3ce637

I will try with another account in the next couple of days/next week.

I don't know about an OS update. I'm using it mostly on my office laptop during the day when working and IT manages updates. I will try also on my personal computer also with the Spotify software.

Will write back when I have more info.

FYI it's still doing it today:

Played the "5" album by the band Sault, then clicked on play for the "7" album from the same artist, and the "5" album was added automatically in the play queue (see screenshot).

sault_7_5.png

Hey @mikibok,

Thanks for getting back to us with this info.

We've forwarded it to the relevant team here at Spotify, however, we can't confirm when it will be addressed. In the meantime, please make sure to keep your app up-to-date.

Let us know if you have other questions.

MihailYModerator

Just a quick update, the problem does happen on my other PC.

I think I was able to pinpoint when the problem occurs. It only happens when I click play on the album page of an artist, not in the actual album itself. So when you select an artist, then is the discography section you can click "show all", this is what I mean by "album page".

So if I click play on the thumbnail of any album in the following screenshot, the problem occurs: all the previously published work gets added to the queue.

But if I click on an actual album or published item and then I press play, the problem doesn't happen. Also doesn't happen when I click play on an album when I'm on the artist page.

Will try to test with another account this week.

jmblais_albums_play_serenades.png
queue_serenades_and_more.png
Marked as solution

Hey @mikibok,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We've received a confirmation that what you're seeing is expected behavior since the discography of an artist is "treated" as a playlist and all albums are added to the queue once you start playing one of them.

We appreciate your feedback however and we've made sure to pass it on to the team.

Cheers,

MihailYModerator

Oh too bad this is normal behaviour!

Thanks for the info and checking in on this.

Suggested posts