Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sponsored recommendations - how do I turn them off?

Sponsored recommendations - how do I turn them off?

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Operating System

Current iOS

My Question or Issue

How do I turn off sponsored recommendations? I cannot find a way in options. I noticed today that I got a sponsored recommendation and the “?” button states I can turn them off, but doesn’t explain how or give an option to do so (see picture). Instructions on how to actually do this would be appreciated!

EDIT: Here are the directions to turn off sponsored content per a moderator in the replies: desktop > Account > Privacy settings > turn off Tailored ads.
Unfortunately this ad I got was despite already having tailored ads turned off. Still seeking a solution.

IMG_1255.jpeg

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey @Bibelbrann,

Premium users should now be able to opt out from these sponsored recommendations by tapping 'What's this' -> 'Opt me out'

We've made some changes backstage, so this should now be working as intended.

In case the issue still persists on your end, log out and back into your app twice in a row to trigger a manual sync of your settings. Should the issue remain after this - follow the steps for a complete clean reinstall of the app here, which should resolve it for you.

In case you continue getting the sponsored recommendations though, we'd like to know the following details:

• Your affected device's model
  • Its OS version
  • Your Spotify app version

The same goes for anyone still experiencing this issue 🙂
We'll be on the lookout for new replies!

28 Replies

IMG_1254.jpeg

This is how I got to the above message. 

Hey there @NotJohnBoy,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

To opt out of receiving sponsored recommendations, go to your Spotify account on desktop > Account > Privacy settings > turn off Tailored ads.

This will opt you out of receiving sponsored recommendations and personalized ads generally across our product. If you turn off Tailored ads, you will continue receiving podcast ads in your Premium account, but they will not be tailored to you.

Hope this info helps!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This doesn’t work, I have premium, and tailored ads off and am still getting this ‘sponsored recommendation’ in my home page. 

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I navigated to the section you mentioned and it turns out I already have tailored ads turned off. Any other way I can get them to go away? I am confused why I got an ad that tells me it is sponsored when I already have them turned off. This also makes me wonder if I am getting any other sponsored content that isn't labeled. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 7.27.15 PM.png

Hey folks!

Could you send us over some screenshots of what sponsored content you're seeing on your end?
You can attach them to the replies as @NotJohnBoy has done; we'd like to take a closer look into this if possible.

Many thanks!

VasilModerator

IMG_6728.jpeg

Hey there folks,

Thanks for the screenshots and all the info you've provided.

We've passed on the info for further investigation. While we can't give a specific timeframe for when we'll have more info to share, we can recommend keeping your app up-to-date to stay on top of any new released fixes.

Cheers!

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I have turned off recommended songs on my playlists but they still pop up and it's annoying

I was about to cancel my subscription on the spot when they pulled this garbage on me.  Nothing personal to the artist, but I pay for this service and think I shouldn’t have to sift through sponsored content.  I blocked Taylor Swift as a result of this, and I know that’s a metric Spotify tracks, so hopefully enough people do this that they get the point.

Hey folks!

Good news - we've looked into this with the team and this should now be fixed!

Make sure you're running the latest app version by following the steps over at this page.

Cheers!

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi Maria, I have the updated version of the app on android, but still got this 'issue' today. I do have premium and pay for this service, so I reckon I should be able to opt out of commercial content. The solution you're mentioning is not in place. See attachments. 

Screenshot_20240214_095857_Google Play Store.jpg
Screenshot_20240214_093124_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20240214_094736_Chrome.jpg

Hey @Bibelbrann,

Premium users should now be able to opt out from these sponsored recommendations by tapping 'What's this' -> 'Opt me out'

We've made some changes backstage, so this should now be working as intended.

In case the issue still persists on your end, log out and back into your app twice in a row to trigger a manual sync of your settings. Should the issue remain after this - follow the steps for a complete clean reinstall of the app here, which should resolve it for you.

In case you continue getting the sponsored recommendations though, we'd like to know the following details:

• Your affected device's model
  • Its OS version
  • Your Spotify app version

The same goes for anyone still experiencing this issue 🙂
We'll be on the lookout for new replies!

VasilModerator

I pay for premium. What the **bleep** is a sponsored recommendation other than an Ad? I don't know who the **bleep** Kram Enots is or how much he paid you but I paid Spotify to not show me any Ads. Stop the **bleep** now or you will lose more and more long time subscribers. 

IMG_3541.jpeg

So is anyone from Spotify going to even reply? I swear you bunch make it impossible to talk to any real people because you know the answer is just 'We're greedy and like to make money even when people already pay us.". 

Just got another sponsored ad. I had not logged out and in twice but have now. The app was already up to date. I will do the reinstall later so this hopefully stops happening. 

I am also wondering how to stop from getting concerts advertised to me. To my knowledge I have this setting turned off, but I keep getting “Recommended” concerts at the top bar of the app with a link to buy tickets. 

Thanks. 

IMG_1543.png

Just got my first 'sponsored recommendation'. Spotify, you must be out of your mind to serve this to a paying customer! This surely needs to be an opt in, but you sneaked that in without consent. Shame on you! 

I have opted out at least 4 times and I am still getting sponsored recommendations as a Spotify premium member. what is going on?

This is not fixed, ive been getting this ads daily even after opting out. Talk about being greedy, raising the price of premium membership and still showing ads. The won't listen without a suit.

Same here. Tried opting out at least ten times….current app but this has happened over multiple versions. 

Suggested posts