Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Way to Make Spotify Play Different Songs in Personalized Playlists?

Solved!

Way to Make Spotify Play Different Songs in Personalized Playlists?

Plan

Free

Country

U.S.

Device

(iPhone 8/Desktop App)

Operating System

(IOS 14.4.1/Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Greetings!

Huge fan of Your Daily Drive and The Get Up's playlists. Been hearing much of the same stuff over and over from the past few months or so (in that I liked these song in November and am still hearing them + older liked songs)... and it isn't adding new stuff that I came across (December till now). Does the cache have to do with this or where can I go to nudge my playlists to change what comes up?

Thank you all for reading!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @ThomasW2

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

No worries, your Made for you playlists will update with time. The more you use the app and listen to different artists/genres, the app will get more familiar with your taste and start suggesting different content based on your listening activity on your different personalized playlists.

We're afraid there's nothing we can do on our end to have an impact on this, as that depends on the listening activity of your account. 

If you need help with anything else, we'll be right here.

Cheers!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi there @ThomasW2,

We're afraid we don't have any further info about how the algorithm works and if it's based on an exact number of songs listened per genre. To optimize your Made for You playlists, we suggest disliking the songs you don't like in the current playlists, as well as keep listening to the genres you'd like to receive more recommendations from. It may take some time, but that's the best way to keep receiving more accurate recommendations.

We hope this clears things up. We'll be right here in case you need anything else.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Hey @ThomasW2,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Unless your app needs a little refreshing and a clean reinstall does the trick, it'd be great for your to add your +VOTE to this Idea suggesting something along the lines of what you have in mind.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Hope you'll find this useful. Cheers!

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Mario,

The idea you linked to is a great one, and I have voiced (er...clicked?) my support for it. Thank you for bringing the idea to me!

I'm unsure if restarting my app would help; the only thing I know for sure is that my account stopped adding new songs to the playlists it generates on The Get Up and Daily Drive during and after the show on November 24th. It gave me some great recommendations and incorporated various genres I had liked over the past few months into the shows' rotations for a few days before. Once the 25th came, however, things just froze in place. The music does shuffle around but it makes no effort to recommend me new tracks and sticks to the same 112 songs that it rearranges in new combinations.

Is it possible to have someone look over my account on the back end to see if they can unclog my generated playlists? 

Thank You For Responding Previously,

Thomas W. 

Hey @ThomasW2,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We do recommend that you perform a clean reinstall using the steps @Mario posted above. Sometimes app files get damaged and stand in the way of a proper synch with our servers. These steps are an easy way to remove any possible leftover files from previous installations and start anew.

Keep in mind however that the recommendations in these playlists are based also of the listening habits of people with similar taste and near your geographical area. Because of this it's possible that some repetitions still come up. In that case we'd advise to keep an eye out on the Status Update of the idea @Mario linked to. We'll post any updates there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this shines a bit of light on the matter. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Mihail

I have done the steps listed above and have noticed that when I put Spotify back I my phone, I got a new features that I hadn't noticed before (a sleep timer); I will keep you posted as to my progress!

Thank you both, @Mario and @Mihail! 

@thanks to mario

after reading your reply i just find a feature in spotify 😄 😍

Hi there @ThomasW2  and @Davidnikoli,

Thank you for your replies.

We're glad to hear that you found a feature that works for you as it should.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

@Jeremy,

First and foremost, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply! 

Second...I believe I have pinpointed my problem: the end of my Made for You playlists (Daily Drive, The Get Up and Daily Sports) play my Wrapped songs from 2020; the cut-off date aligns with the songs that are playing and I have confirmed via looking at my Wrapped that this is indeed the case. In order to potently solve it, I have gone Premium! Will this get me so that I will get more current songs or will I have to wait until Wrapped 2021? 

Hopefully It's The Former Or Something Can Be Done,

Thomas W.  

Hey again @ThomasW2,

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Those playlists are based on listening activity and they should change the more you listen to different music.

It's possible that you see the songs from Wrapped in those list just because they're still among the most listened ones.

We recommend that you play some new albums and maybe look for new playlists (for example Spotify created ones based on genre) to diversify the pool of songs, which should shake up the suggestions 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

@Jeremy,

Over the past few months, my intent has been to diversify the pool of music I listen to. My account doesn't seem to be representing that change in some aspects; I'll get artist mixes that showcase the vast swath of genres, so it works in one area. It's just not being reflected in the Made for You section of my account. Is there a way someone could take a look at my situation from the back end?

Still Loves Spotify,

Thomas W. 

Marked as solution

Hey there @ThomasW2

No worries, your Made for you playlists will update with time. The more you use the app and listen to different artists/genres, the app will get more familiar with your taste and start suggesting different content based on your listening activity on your different personalized playlists.

We're afraid there's nothing we can do on our end to have an impact on this, as that depends on the listening activity of your account. 

If you need help with anything else, we'll be right here.

Cheers!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

@Eni,

I appreciate your (the entire staffs: @Mario, @Mihail, @Jeremy and you!)'s time in replying to my many responses to your subsequent posts. I will fiddle around with what i listen to and see what transpires!

Thank You All For Putting Up With Me,

Thomas W. 

Hi @ThomasW2

You're welcome! If you ever need anything else, we're just a post away. 

Have a great day 🙂

EniModerator

@Eni,

Is there an exact amount of how many songs I should listen to in a genre (and I have a list of each genre Spotify tracks via the Sounds of Spotify playlist that I keep up with daily; I love all of Mr. McDonald's contributions to this planform!) before Spotify starts recommending music within that genre of music? Right now, all of my recommendations are Japanese songs, as I have many of them Liked. I fiddled with my RR and DW playlists yesterday and Don't like of the songs within them and am thinking of just going to a genre and playing a bunch of songs from that style to tune (pun intended) the algorithm. Will those above ideas work or will it have to be more long-term?

Curious,

Thomas W. 

Marked as solution

Hi there @ThomasW2,

We're afraid we don't have any further info about how the algorithm works and if it's based on an exact number of songs listened per genre. To optimize your Made for You playlists, we suggest disliking the songs you don't like in the current playlists, as well as keep listening to the genres you'd like to receive more recommendations from. It may take some time, but that's the best way to keep receiving more accurate recommendations.

We hope this clears things up. We'll be right here in case you need anything else.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

@CarlosE.

The second paragraph in your message does indeed assist me; thank you for you response!

I have a semi-related question sorta kida: do you know how long it takes for On Repeat to refresh? I've had it be from 12 hours to 3 days...and when I look at the description of On Repeat on your website it has it as five days. 

Just Trying To Get Some Clarity,

Thomas W. 

Hey again @ThomasW2,

You're welcome, we're always happy to help!

Your On Repeat and Repeat Rewind playlists should update every 5 days.

For anything else you need, you know where to find us.

Have a great weekend 🙂

CarlosEModerator

@CarlosE,

So far so good as far as the weekend is concerned; it's just soooo short. I wish it were here longer... I hope yours is great, too!

At around 6-ish this morning, my On Repeat updated after only 3 days. In my 8-9-is months of having Spotify, my OR never been as long as 5 days; it's always been either 12 hours, 1 day or 3. I don't quite know if this is a bad thing or not, but it is still worth mentioning. 

Still Enjoying Spotify,

Thomas W. 

Hi again @ThomasW2,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

That might happen if you use the app very often and listen to a lot of different music. Even though the time for the On Repeat playlist to update may slightly vary, it should update in no more than 5 days.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts