Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

What to do about having too much music?

Solved!

What to do about having too much music?

I have 17000 at the moment that I wish to have accessible from ideally one playlist. Is there any way to make this possible or does Spotify hate these sort of people now?

Apparently a library of this size is too big for a playlist and saved music, I pay premium so this is quite annoying to be honest as it's my only current source of listening :(.

Open to any suggestions (stop using Spotify).

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@arinkle

These are just my views and ways I have over the years worked around the Spotify service, before there was a Your Music feature and not a very effective Music Library feature.

I know this might not be an ideal work around, but I have been with the Spotify service since before there was a Your Music. It would be nice if this was expanded in many ways, but until then this is what long time users started out doing. First one can create what is known as Playlist Folders, one can label these a name to be able to quickly recognize what the playlist folder is for, say like "Saved Albums". You can drag and drop whole albums you wish to save into individual playlist until you fill it to the 10,000 track limit, and repeat again with each next playlist and simply label them Saved Albums Vol 1-?, and then move these individual playlists into the Playlist Folder to keep everything organized. The great thing doing it this way is the column filtering is working again effectively and also the search filter within playlists, and a user can easily find a particular artists albums quickly this way.

I started out when Spotify did not have a Saved music feature or a very effective personal Music Library system, and so creating Playlist Folders and also putting full albums into playlists allowed me to create a personal Music Library system to find what I wanted to listen to quickly. I have just carried over the habit and it still works for me, until the development teams get around to what they decide to do with the Your Music section and where to take it. Your Music is way to limited for my uses at the moment. Your Music is a great tool for new users when starting out with the Spotify service but after a good solid year of listening to music one tends to reach the limits set in Your Music rather quickly.

It also all depends on how one wishes to use the Spotify music service, sounds as if you are reaching the point of becoming a Power User of the Spotify system, and so you might think about how to utilize the Playlist Folders and the 10,000 track limits per playlist to your advantage now. I have now currently just over 83,000 tracks of saved music, some of it is local music files of missing music from the Spotify service, and then 99% of the rest is full albums, E.P.'s and some rare singles of material from the Spotify service. All of the content is saved in Playlist Folders by A-Z designation, and Playlists organized by artist names. And I still have not scratched the surfaced yet of content on the music service. Some users have gone so far as to just save individual albums as their own playlists, but some of these users have run into issues on their accounts with way too many playlists for the apps to be able to load correctly now with the new coding structure. 

Anyway those are my views.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Very well put, I admire your attitude. I am still hasty in my judgements.

I'm simply looking for the easy soluton which in my mind would be similar to what the older Library system offered, which held everything you had listened to/added/etc. (As you seem to know well about). I'm looking for a system like this as it provides an easy way for me to monitor my listening history and simply if I want to put my entire collection of music on shuffle (alike to iTunes).

Can't believe your solution of putting them in A-Z playlists hadn't crossed my mind however! Although I dislike the feel of having it in more than one playlist; I can't think why what you're doing shouldn't work for me. So thank you 😄

I'm already having difficulty with using Google Play Music so thank you for adjusting my attitude! 😄

Marked as solution

@SloeGin

No problem. Since all music players have a system where one can build custom playlists, the same principles in most cases applies to the Spotify service, just takes a few days to set up. Took me a whole weekend of building it and once it was done, maintaining it just takes a few hours a week when new content comes out or when content gets update.

I just did this, make and label a Playlist Folder as Music Library, and then make and nest other Playlist Folders as A-Z inside the Music Library Playlist Folder, you can make Playlist Folders inside of each other, and then build individual artist playlist collections and place them accordingly into the Playlist Folders, or depending how you decide to set it all up. There is not a right or wrong way, only comes down to the system that works for you so you can get to the content that you want to listen to easily. One could just set up a simple playlist with one track from each artist the user likes, and then use this to just click on the Artist names and go directly to the artist pages and listen to the albums from the artist pages going around the need for YOUR MUSIC all together. Imagine a 10,000 artist playlist collection that takes you to 10,000 artists by a simple mouse click? Playlists are mainly for organizing content and then offlining that content for users to have access to it without Internet access or to save phone data use on their plans.

Mine looks something like this:

Music Library - Playlist Folder

A - Playlist Folder

AC/DC - Artist Playlist Collection

Aerosmith - Artist Playlist Collection

Alice Cooper - Artist Playlist Collection

B - Repeat over again

Bad Company

Black Sabbath

Blue Oyster Cult

C - Repeat

Collective Soul

Cream

Creedence Clearwater Revival

D - Repeat

Deep Purple

DIO

The Doors

So on and so forth. Take a peek at my Spotify user profile in my signature to see how I set up the artist playlist collections I have built.

7 Replies

Eh nvm. Moving across to Google Music anyway. *sticks middle fingers up at Spotify development team*

I'm having this issue as well, I've tapped out  my ability to 'save' albums and songs to my library.

Quite frankly, it's really started to affect my day-to-day use of Spotify. I used to save songs I came across that I liked, now I can't do that. I've tried to go through and remove older content, but found there is little I really want to remove...

I've considered moving to Google Play Music, and I have Apple Music, but they don't have other features that Spotify does.

The same issue plagues me as well. What I do is when I encounter an overflow I browse through my music library and take out songs and albums that either I don't care for, I've heard plenty of times, or that I can listen to on my iPod or computer. Just think about what songs you really wouldn't miss if you couldn't access them without taking ten seconds to search the artist. I know it sounds obvious but I was suprised how much my collection shrank once I asked myself why exactly I saved music. I understand that you are frustrated by the situation and from what I have seen throughout my time in the Green Room, this is one of the most frequent concerns among users. Thank you for your input. Spotify is doing its best to remedy the concerns presented by you and other diligent users. Your patience and dedication is making change. I'll let you know if anything regarding this issue comes to my attention. 

Sincerely,
Me
Marked as solution

@arinkle

These are just my views and ways I have over the years worked around the Spotify service, before there was a Your Music feature and not a very effective Music Library feature.

I know this might not be an ideal work around, but I have been with the Spotify service since before there was a Your Music. It would be nice if this was expanded in many ways, but until then this is what long time users started out doing. First one can create what is known as Playlist Folders, one can label these a name to be able to quickly recognize what the playlist folder is for, say like "Saved Albums". You can drag and drop whole albums you wish to save into individual playlist until you fill it to the 10,000 track limit, and repeat again with each next playlist and simply label them Saved Albums Vol 1-?, and then move these individual playlists into the Playlist Folder to keep everything organized. The great thing doing it this way is the column filtering is working again effectively and also the search filter within playlists, and a user can easily find a particular artists albums quickly this way.

I started out when Spotify did not have a Saved music feature or a very effective personal Music Library system, and so creating Playlist Folders and also putting full albums into playlists allowed me to create a personal Music Library system to find what I wanted to listen to quickly. I have just carried over the habit and it still works for me, until the development teams get around to what they decide to do with the Your Music section and where to take it. Your Music is way to limited for my uses at the moment. Your Music is a great tool for new users when starting out with the Spotify service but after a good solid year of listening to music one tends to reach the limits set in Your Music rather quickly.

It also all depends on how one wishes to use the Spotify music service, sounds as if you are reaching the point of becoming a Power User of the Spotify system, and so you might think about how to utilize the Playlist Folders and the 10,000 track limits per playlist to your advantage now. I have now currently just over 83,000 tracks of saved music, some of it is local music files of missing music from the Spotify service, and then 99% of the rest is full albums, E.P.'s and some rare singles of material from the Spotify service. All of the content is saved in Playlist Folders by A-Z designation, and Playlists organized by artist names. And I still have not scratched the surfaced yet of content on the music service. Some users have gone so far as to just save individual albums as their own playlists, but some of these users have run into issues on their accounts with way too many playlists for the apps to be able to load correctly now with the new coding structure. 

Anyway those are my views.

Marked as solution

Very well put, I admire your attitude. I am still hasty in my judgements.

I'm simply looking for the easy soluton which in my mind would be similar to what the older Library system offered, which held everything you had listened to/added/etc. (As you seem to know well about). I'm looking for a system like this as it provides an easy way for me to monitor my listening history and simply if I want to put my entire collection of music on shuffle (alike to iTunes).

Can't believe your solution of putting them in A-Z playlists hadn't crossed my mind however! Although I dislike the feel of having it in more than one playlist; I can't think why what you're doing shouldn't work for me. So thank you 😄

I'm already having difficulty with using Google Play Music so thank you for adjusting my attitude! 😄

Thank you for your understanding!
Marked as solution

@SloeGin

No problem. Since all music players have a system where one can build custom playlists, the same principles in most cases applies to the Spotify service, just takes a few days to set up. Took me a whole weekend of building it and once it was done, maintaining it just takes a few hours a week when new content comes out or when content gets update.

I just did this, make and label a Playlist Folder as Music Library, and then make and nest other Playlist Folders as A-Z inside the Music Library Playlist Folder, you can make Playlist Folders inside of each other, and then build individual artist playlist collections and place them accordingly into the Playlist Folders, or depending how you decide to set it all up. There is not a right or wrong way, only comes down to the system that works for you so you can get to the content that you want to listen to easily. One could just set up a simple playlist with one track from each artist the user likes, and then use this to just click on the Artist names and go directly to the artist pages and listen to the albums from the artist pages going around the need for YOUR MUSIC all together. Imagine a 10,000 artist playlist collection that takes you to 10,000 artists by a simple mouse click? Playlists are mainly for organizing content and then offlining that content for users to have access to it without Internet access or to save phone data use on their plans.

Mine looks something like this:

Music Library - Playlist Folder

A - Playlist Folder

AC/DC - Artist Playlist Collection

Aerosmith - Artist Playlist Collection

Alice Cooper - Artist Playlist Collection

B - Repeat over again

Bad Company

Black Sabbath

Blue Oyster Cult

C - Repeat

Collective Soul

Cream

Creedence Clearwater Revival

D - Repeat

Deep Purple

DIO

The Doors

So on and so forth. Take a peek at my Spotify user profile in my signature to see how I set up the artist playlist collections I have built.

Suggested posts