Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why do songs on Spotify change?

Why do songs on Spotify change?

So I noticed it first while listening to Ice Cube's "Drop Girl". It got censored all of the sudden. Now I noticed that there is the exact same Single still uncensored. The Song was in my playlist since 2015 and it was always the uncensored version. Why did they replace my song to the censored one?

But that's not all! While Drop Girl is basically still the same song, censored or not I noticed something diffrent with the song "Baby Baby" by Tropkillaz. This is the song currently on spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/track/69XcWslqlfF6TJL04ozoZr

But now please listen to the original that was (and I am 100% sure) previously on spotify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJH4sSJMlA

The problem I have now: Spotify changes these songs. Why? Why is the Tropkillaz Spotify Version all of the sudden completely diffrent than before?

4 Replies

Hey @Chrissel313 I hate when that happens, but it's all about licensing agreements. Sometimes agreements can’t be reached with the artist or label or a change may happen in music ownership, with a music streaming service these changes are constantly being made.  I'm sorry it caused problems for you but hopefully the song will be back up soon 🙂

In the meantime, feel free to contact the artist or their label to ask when they plan to put that version back on spotify. Thanks and let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Follow me

@Chrissel313

Hey there, I did a little searching just for curiosity sakes, is this the track you are looking for, the track below is labelled as the Explicit version?

spotify:album:74I06TuYFFxN2Iqz8QaEn0:small

Also the track is supposed to be on the Ice Cube release, Everythang's Corrupt but the release does not seem to be on the Spotify service at least from a U.S. account currently. 

Not uncommon for the Spotify service to find slightly different songs if they exist on the Spotify service, when other content becomes unavailable on the Spotify service, say for example a full length release is no longer available but singles off that release still are available on the service, singles can sometimes be a bit different from the actual full length release tracks, just depends on the artists and labels releasing content. The Spotify system could have auto linked to the clean version of the single still available instead of the Explicit single version available I posted above, auto replacing the song track from the full length release you may have had in a playlist previously?

I always do a double check, a manual search when this happens to be sure what is and is not available when content goes missing. Just adding my two cents to help out some, the Spotify system can get some getting used to when labels and artists make content available and unavailable, or when content is updated often on the Spotify service from the labels.

Check out the support article on this topic:

https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/search_play/content-censor/

"In rare cases, an error or a change in licensing agreements may have occured making the explicit version unavailable. The tracks may be re-linked to the "clean" version temporarily while we fix things."

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Way Down We Go by Kaleo is now completely different. The only similarity between the new one and the old one is there both rock music by Kaleo, their not even the same kind of rock. Though the stripped version is fairly similar to the original version.

Suggested posts