Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why does spotify now play videos????

Why does spotify now play videos????

This only adds to data charges

Its used as a way for them to play ads in their playlists, despite me paying for premium so I DONT HAVE TO HEAR ADS

Its a cool concept, but I wish there was a way to not have them. Like a setting to just not play videos. Its also really annoying that I'm paying money to avoid ads, but then they sneak them in. Like in the RapCaviar playlist, the rundown video is at its core just an advertisement. The Tee Grizzley video was straight up just an advertisment. When all i want is to just listen to music, these do not add anything at all. If I wanted to watch music videos I would go to youtube. Really the only options there are are to a) ignore it b) copy every song from that Spotify curated playlist into my own playlist without the videos or c) stop paying for premium and stop using spotify

40 Replies

Hey @EloRazi Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Spotify are always looking for ways to enhance the Spotify experience, and are currently testing a new format with Rap Caviar. There’s more info here. I'll pass your feedback on to the right folks. I'll be here if you need anything else.

Take care! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I don't care about the videos but I do hate when listening to the rap caviar playlist and it hits a video and stops playing!!! TF? So now randomly it stops the music and leaves silence at a party, need to find the phone maybe in another room to restart the music. Why tho? Program it where, If it's in the background, just skip the darn videos. -Premium user.

Really is a terrible new addition, ruined the RapCaviar playlist 😞

Agreed! The reason I don't listen to music for free on YouTube is because a) there are ads, and b) you have to keep the app open. I don't want to keep Spotify open all the time and I don't care about music videos!

All companies go for launching videos now - doesn't matter if its on here, a newspaper, some news feed or whatever. It's called "enhancing the user experience" but in truth it's about something else entirely, alternative there are some users who find videos are enhancing and they go for a "one size fits all" concept. Don't forget there's a lot of money in playing videos to you, videos that will ultimately make you buy more stuff. Since people (probably) are watching less television, the producers have to come up with new ideas to get you to tune in to their ads, and preferably in ways where you don't just leave the site at once never to come back. It has little to do with what you, as a listener and indivudal, actually want from your user experience. The ideal is that when you play a playlist or watch a feed on social media, or on television for that matter, suddenly there comes a booming video making you listen to whatever is advertised, but since you want to continue listening/watching you endure it and then go on with your proper user experience, your chosen songs, television show, news feed, whatever. Meanwhile, you unconciously absorb the information from the video and go buy whatever product or idea was shown to you. There's a lot of money to be earned from making you buy things you don't really want but have been programmed to buy anyway.

Thank you for that long-winded response that added no new information to the conversation. It's common knowledge that videos contain ads and ads make money. The point of these posts are to say that there are some of us who pay for the premium service that don't want the videos, and it's not enhancing the user experience like they want.

Thanks for commenting with a comment that also didn't add anything. I also pay for the premium for that matter.

I'm glad I made some impression at least. I like to be long-winded.

I searched with my complaint and found this thread. I 100% agree becuase it's horrible to have it playing on my phone and then a video with boring talking occurs. There needs to be an option to not play videos...hear me Spotify!

I'm considering discontinuing my premium subscription if all my playlists are just full of these now without an option to not play vids.

I'll just pay for YT Red if my playlists have videos. Better selection if I'm just gonna be annoyed anyways.

My problem is the Audio quality suffers greatly.

The main reason I pay for spotify is to play The HQ audio.

This is poorly conceived.

1. I wonder how much more data you're wasting to send me unsolicited content.

2. I can't turn it off, or opt-out of this "experience".

3. The experience is only on mobile, a 5 inch screen.  As compared to a desktop implementation, which makes at least some practical sense.

4. I'm not watching TV.  I'm listenting to music.  Why are you introducting a visual element to this experience?
5. Seriously.... How much more of my mobile data plan are you burning through for this nonsense???

I would really like an option to turn off videos when listening to a playlist. I find it quite annoying when I notice a video playing. Lot of the times the video is about an artist describing their work, which I really don't care much to listen to. I more interested in just listening to music. Please Spotify add an option to not play videos in playlists. Thanks.

Wow. 

Spotify, you better add a *don't show me any video's* option real soon because this is just dumb. Like all other say, if I wanted to play video's, random video's I might add, I'd go to youtube or something. 

How annoying. Why would I pay for this?!

Completely agree with sentiments here, the videos in Spotify paylists such as Rock This is a terrible idea. I don't use Spotify to watch music videos. I use it to LISTEN to music. I could care less about a music video.

Add an option to skip these videos or I'll be switching to another service. Premium user here.

LOL

It would be a lot better if the videos ACTUALLY PLAYED. I pay for premium and I'm using the service in the same country I am paying for it and i always get the message 'Video Unavailable. We're not able to play this video in your current location.' This totally breaks up my work-flow and is distracting and annoying. Not only does it not play but I have to click away the pop up alert telling me it won't play. The video should at least auto-continue to the next playable song and not require intervention. It's a PLAYLIST after all. It's meant to be played without active management. 

Stop this experiment if you're not going to do it correctly. 

I am in the UK and my subscription is based there as well. I pay for premium. If these videos only play in the US don't test it outside of the US. C'mon! 

i wouldnt leave Spotify over that issue...unfortunately youre going to run in to that same issue at all of the streaming platforms.We live in a visual era my friend...and this is how they remain competitive!

Funny you think that...I don’t have that issue with Apple Music or Pandora’s new plus service. I’m not sure where you are getting your information. 

Suggested posts