Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why does spotify now play videos????

Why does spotify now play videos????

This only adds to data charges

Its used as a way for them to play ads in their playlists, despite me paying for premium so I DONT HAVE TO HEAR ADS

Its a cool concept, but I wish there was a way to not have them. Like a setting to just not play videos. Its also really annoying that I'm paying money to avoid ads, but then they sneak them in. Like in the RapCaviar playlist, the rundown video is at its core just an advertisement. The Tee Grizzley video was straight up just an advertisment. When all i want is to just listen to music, these do not add anything at all. If I wanted to watch music videos I would go to youtube. Really the only options there are are to a) ignore it b) copy every song from that Spotify curated playlist into my own playlist without the videos or c) stop paying for premium and stop using spotify

40 Replies

I deal with Apple Music execs daily for work they are def mobilizing to enter the visual content world. I havent heard anything like this in regards to Pandora. Hey maybe I heard wrong! Happy New Years!

Why I can't play Playlist Videos on spotify?

Playlists:

Rise Presents Lauv

Today's Top Hits

RapCaviar

I have to agree, I don't want video on my mobile to add to the data use youtube for that. At least give us the option to turn them off to save on the data.

Spotify, how do I switch off the videos from ever attempting to play on my device ? That's what I want to know. 

I've been a paying customer from the beginning but if you keep adding videos to playlists without the ability to automatically skip them I will have to reconsider the subscription

I don't understand. I've been premium for almost a year now, and I haven't seen any ads whatsoever! No ads on the music videos, and no ads in the podcasts. If you're seeing ads, than you should chat with customer service. No one should be sing ads on premium. Second, I don't understand why people are complaining about the videos. It is inevitable that Spotify would do this, this is were all major streaming services are heading. Plus you can clearly see that the music and the videos are seperated. If you don't want videos, you don't have to watch them.

This isn’t strictly true. If you play popular playlist they include video too. Not separate at all. Not what you want on mobile when out and about thanks. Not sure where you get the ads bit, wasn’t something I mentioned. Ta

Those playlists may not be from spotify staff. I have never encountered videos in regular playlists. However, it wouldn't surprise me. They are  doing all kinds of things to promote their content. Also the commercials may be injected by the content creator. If that's the case, there's nothing spotify can do.

Actually you may be right about that. Just think there should be a option to not play the videos in the settings. Don't mind on the PC but not only the mobile except on Wifi 🙂

@Spotify You need to deactivate this video stuff. It always tells me it can't play the video in my region. I don't want to watch videos, I'd like listening to the music. Or at least there must be an option under settings to deactivate videos (PC App)

I think you meant to say "Baa-aaa-aa-aaa!"

This is really stupid, lol. Those videos aren't even available where I live. At the very least Spotify should auto-skip such videos if they're available. Here's a video-free Rap Caviar playlist (it's not by me, and it's always auto-updated):

https://open.spotify.com/user/vincentjr/playlist/3HAbgGG3dlUR7XfvavqPp9

Spotify keeps trying to play videos in the background. Is this a glitch or does it do this for everyone? I was listening to the rapcaviar playlist on shuffle and it kept trying to play videos in the background when my phone was off and they wouldn’t play so I had to get my phone out and skip it and it was really annoying.

That's exactly what the issue is! It's so **bleep** annoying yet they just don't
care.
I've been a paying customer for years but this attitude is making me
consider leaving.
They used to care about their customers' needs, these days they seem to
think they can force people's behaviour. I get it if it's for the free
service, but for the paying users??
I love my lists but might need to move elsewhere soon

Just do what you do best and play music. Don't need / don't want video stuff playing away. Spotify was never the main attraction, it's a fancy background radio that plays what users want. Let's not lose sight of that.

These videos are in Spotify curated playlists like "Your Release Radar". They burn through data, are just adds and screw up the user experience when I am just trying to listen to music in the car. Please provide the option to opt out. If Spotify is being paid to show them they are ads and have no place on premium. If they increase in frequency I'll take my subscription somewhere else.

Wataf are these new videos, totally annoying and not the porpuse of Spotify. If you continue with this behaviour people will just go back to iTunes or Pandora Drezzer, Tidal or whatever. 

Lately instead of providing with new cool features that users expect you just keep adding garbage. 

There's a way to do it, but it involves downloading an older version of Spotify.

First, uninstall the current version of Spotify.

Second, download an older version here: https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/download/1779521

Third, install the file, then go to the play store and go to updates, select Spotify, then press the three dots at the top right corner and disable automatic updates.

I am happy for Spotify to add features, but why isn't there a way to turn it off? It's incredibly distracting while driving. I suspect if it continues I'll have to go elsewhere - sad really.

I don't mind the videos they are a cool addition, but how they have implemented it is complete garbage and the real reason it is so annoying.
Run the video in the itty bitty area where the album art is supposed to be? Seriously?
Give NO option to hide, expand, move, the video?
Give NO options in the app preferences to allow disabling of the feature, or any control over it at all?

Force users on mobile devices to run video on data? No option to specifically control to play video on data/wifi connections?

Like come on.

YOU CAN TURN IT OFF

Go into settings, playback, and at the bottom there is a feature called canvas, canvas is video playing feature and you can turn it off

Suggested posts