Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Safari No Longer Supported??!!

Safari No Longer Supported??!!

It seems that the Safari browser is no longer supported for the Web Player. I've been using it for years without a problem. The Spotify System requirements page even says it can run in Safari 6 or higher: https://support.spotify.com/us/article/spotify-system-requirements/

I have Safari 10 on Mac OS 10.12.6, but when I try to open play.spotify.com now, I get the message, "This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player. Switch browsers or download Spotify for your desktop" (see screen shot).

I checked the Switch browsers link, and sure enough, Spotify Web Player no longer supports Safari!

Thanks a lot, Spotify, but I don't want to switch browsers or use your desktop player!

Either restore Safari support, or I'm off to Apple Music, Amazon Music, Google Music, or something else. And while you're at it, dump Flash and use HTML5!

EDIT: I thought I replied to @SebastVAIO but don't see it, so here it is again:

play.spotify.com redirects to open.spotify.com and then I get the error message. Deleting cache and cookies has no effect. I contacted Spotify Support and this is what they said:

"After taking a look backstage, we can confirm that after recent updates Safari is no longer a supported browser for Web Player.
We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use the Web Player like you could before.
We can't say if or when any specific features will be back. But as soon as we’ve got anything to announce, we’ll let everyone know via the Spotify Community.
Sorry again for any inconvenience caused, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.
Best wishes,
Rollie
Spotify Customer Support"

In other words, Safari users have no choice but to switch browsers or use the desktop app. I did a little experimenting (switched my user agent to Chrome), and I got a new message to "Enable player in your browser," which leads to this page: 

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/system_settings/enable-the-spotify-web-player/

Apparently it has something to do with the Google Widevine content decryption module, which Apple doesn't support because it's not very secure. I tried enabling the Widevine plugin and got the attached message. Looks like Apple is having a pissing contest with Google, Spotify, and anyone else who uses Widevine. In the meantime, we users are caught in the crossfire.

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 8.29.04 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 3.13.09 PM.jpg
39 Replies

Hey @riegelstamm

Sorry to hear about that!

It's now open.spotify.com. play.spotify.com is no longer accessible, at least not right now. The new player (open.spotify) doesn't use flash actually, it's HTML5.

Have you tried deleting cookies and cache?

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Tried clearing Website Data from Privacy Preferences and Deleting all History. Same issue. Safari 10.1 MacOS 10.12.4 Sierra

Same problem here, all of the sudden Spotify doesn't work on Safari. It's the best browser aside from Chrome and I really don't wanna switch to that RAMeater. What can we do?

EDIT: That open.spotify.com link leads to the same messagem as the 'old' link.

I am having the exact same issue. It was working perfectly the other day but all of a sudden it has stopped. I'm using I have Safari 10 on Mac OS 10.12.6. 

I really do not want to have to keep switching browers.

I am also having the same problem. If this is the case, I will be cancelling my Spotify account as I prefer to use the play.spotify website on Safari.

Same prolem. This is ridiculous.

Is there a way at least to change the layout in chrome to look the way the web player did in Safari? 

I dont mind having to use chrome, but i use spotify at work and the web player worked much better for my dektop layout the way it was in safari. 

Same here. I cleared cache/cookies from Safari but same error message.

OSX 10.11.6

Safari 10.1.2

No worries lets all use deezer. . .If spotify decides to have us back it can let us in again 🙂

Im also having the same error message as the OP! open.spotify and play.spotify does not work. They were working  a few days ago! My free trial ends in  few days and I was willing to be a paying subscriber but this is a deal breaker! I dont wanna switch to a new browser nor download the desktop app! Spotify needs to fix this!

I downloded the app and now it works. I really don't want to be downloading any apps though, so if i find a way to make it work on safari, I'll go back to using it on safari. Other than that, i'll most likely end up listening to some other alternative website like deezer or soundcloud. 

Same here, I've been using spotify since the beginning and I pay a subscription. And I'm behind a vpn, I can't use the app. This doesn't make sense. 

Same error on Firefox 52.3.0 Can't use the web player this way. I don't even see a reason paying for this anymore...

Meh, I needed a good reason to switch to Apple Music anyway. Thanks you for being that stupid Spotity.

I don't wanna move away from Spotify. I have built up playlists since 2011. And I think they have more content than Apple Music or google play. And I don't like google musics app interface too bright and hard to navigate. Not sure yet about Apple Music but if there is a way to import my playlists to them automatically I might give them a try.

@CAJ691, you should still be able to use Firefox (I can). See https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/system_settings/enable-the-spotify-web-player/

Yes I can use the web player on Firefox on Mac OS

It's not the operating system that's unsupported, but the browser.

I don't know if activating the user-agent switch in Safari could work in this case (Spotify uses a widewine plugin Apple does not want to use), but it's worth trying anyway.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts