[1.0.17.75] DBus interface is not working properly

Solved!

[1.0.17.75] DBus interface is not working properly

actionless
Music Fan

after update from 0.9 i noticed what there are no any dbus endpoints provided by app and no any signals sent on any activities.

is that sorta bug or one more removed feature?

UPD:

Now it's possible to control playback status and get current track metadata.

But Spotify still don't send dbus signal on status change (like next track and so on) and it's not possible to get current playback status.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: [1.0.17.75] DBus interface is not working properly

actionless
Music Fan

WOW, in 1.0.27 it's finally working

27 Replies

Re: [1.01.1062] DBus interface gone?!

skruttenhehe

I wonder this as well. I can't find any dbus associated with Spotify at all. Is there any way to get some sort of confirmation on if this has been removed or not?

I am running version 1.0.1.1062.gaa7a606c.

browo

is there any alternative to sending media keys to spotify to replace the dbus functionality?

abenjami
Casual Listener

It looks like the DBUS service is no longer there. Can we please have it back?

Thanks.

File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify was not provided by any .service files

Q-tip
Casual Listener
+1 for reinstating DBus. I have a cron script which starts Spotify to wake me up in the morning and gradually increase the volume. This system has been working for me for the past year and a half until now. Luckily, I set a backup alarm just in case or I would have been REALLY late to work.

I'm also kinda missing the menu bar and playlist dividers (playlists named "-") but I guess those are off topic for this thread.

Dzarda
Casual Listener

Yeah, unfortunately I have to confirm this.

It's missing in version 1.0.7.153.gb9e8174a

DBus shows no services related to Spotify.

Devs, please, put it back in, it was a good feature!

ibbles
Regular

There are some alternative ways of controlling Spotify listed here[1]. So far I've only tested the xdotool way, but without any success.

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spotify#Global_media_hotkeys

chrisb2244
Music Fan
Also having no success with xdotool (possibly because of the window targetting?). Wish DBus interface was available.

black3r
Casual Listener

Spotify seems to have a running web-server that accepts JSON structured commands and there seems to exist a client for this interface written in node.js for windows https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-spotify-webhelper . With a little tweaks to this (spotify does not use https on my linux machine) i am currently using solution based on this as an alternative to media keys. Problem is it's kinda slow. Sending a play/pause command takes about 2-3 seconds :(

Highlighted

Dzarda
Casual Listener

I kind of think that the QtDBus dependency was removed due to binary-size reduction taking place during development. It simply might not be used in-app anymore.

SUGGESTED POSTS