Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Close button should minimize the Spotify window - Spotify won't minimize using Close button

Close button should minimize the Spotify window - Spotify won't minimize using Close button

Plan

Premium Family

Country

United Arab Emirates

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

My Question or Issue

There is an option in Advanced Settings for "Close button should minimize the Spotify window". This morning I discovered this and switched it on. 

Closing the window, however, shuts down Spotify. 

I've tried the usual troubleshooting elements:

1. Clear cache

2. Clear storage

3. killall

4. Spotify dump (results in 0Kb text file)

Does this work on other Linux environments? Is there anything else I need to do to make Spotify minimize instead?

92 Replies

My environment:

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.0-9-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit

and same problem/bug exist. Very annoying.

Until this bug is fixed, i disabled Close-button in Spotify window. Now i can't close it accidentally.

Upgraded to
spotify-client 1:1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d [Spotify Public Repository/stable non-free]
yesterday.

The problem persists.

Hey, the fix wasn't ready for that release. But I am already working on it, and it will likely make to the next one. I post it here if it's the case.

That would be nice. If anything prevents me from using the Ubuntu app is that I can't minimize it, so that I prefer using the browser version (likely slower and with less resources).

Just saying this is a question !!

Is the implementation of minimize to tray deployed ? For me, it isn't working, so it a me problem, or it just didn't launch yet ?

Still nothing, I guess

Actually there is progress. The previous blocker (opening multiple
instances) was fixed in the latest version. I have already reworked the
tray icon support, and it's ready for others' comments. Hopefully it can
make to the next release. But again, I can't promise dates.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Any luck on this? It's been 7 months lol

I think we should find a way to apply pressure to Spotify Inc, not the developers that are working on good will alone even if their bosses don't care about Linux.

Anyone know how or where we could direct our complaints and be heard?

what is the point of to apply pressure to Spotify Inc? Spotify is not officially supported in linux. As company, they will do nothing.

The point is, obviously, to get them to support Linux.

Hi all, the tray icon support was finally merged, and should be available in a test version soon.

Spotify version 1.2.20.1210.g2a8a8a57 has added support for icon tray.

However, the icon tray is now always displayed, regardless of whether this option is enabled in the settings or not.

2023-09-15_13-00.png
2023-09-15_13-37.png

Hey temcodes,

I did that merely by copying the Windows client behaviour since it was
the obvious reference. Moreover, if you see the choice, it's not
exactly about having a tray icon. It's about minimizing to the tray,
or quitting when closing the window. Still, I am reconsidering this
behavior. Also, maybe adding buttons to the menu.

I use papirus icon theme https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam/papirus-icon-theme

There is a special spotify-indicator icon for the tray icon. Would it be possible to add support for this icon to the spotify app? Right now the basic icon is used and it is out of the general style of linux apps for tray

2023-09-15_13-25.png
2023-09-15_14-18.png

Thank you @pgomes and other Spotify developers for taking the time to make a working Linux client to begin with. ❤️ I appreciate your work a lot and use the client all the time on my Fedora work machine 🙂

Today the code that makes the tray icon optional was merged. It will be available in the next unstable release, which will take about 2 weeks

Version 1.2.22 was released today to Unstable/Debian and Edge and Candidate/Snap. I makes the tray icon optional to the "Close button should minimize the Spotify window" setting.

thanks for your hard work, it works perfectly now!

Suggested posts