Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Close button should minimize the Spotify window - Spotify won't minimize using Close button

Close button should minimize the Spotify window - Spotify won't minimize using Close button

Plan

Premium Family

Country

United Arab Emirates

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

My Question or Issue

There is an option in Advanced Settings for "Close button should minimize the Spotify window". This morning I discovered this and switched it on. 

Closing the window, however, shuts down Spotify. 

I've tried the usual troubleshooting elements:

1. Clear cache

2. Clear storage

3. killall

4. Spotify dump (results in 0Kb text file)

Does this work on other Linux environments? Is there anything else I need to do to make Spotify minimize instead?

92 Replies

Hello, this issue persists on SNAP ubuntu 23.10.1. X11.

Will moving to deb version fix it?

Hey LazyY, the feature is working both for Snap and Deb. I just tested both at version 1.2.26

Keep in mind that for the tray icon to work, those are mandatory:
- Your desktop environment should support it. For example: KDE supports it off-the-shelf. But not Gnome, which requires to install a plug-in to make it work
- the tray icon is only enabled if you go to your "Settings" and enable the choice "Close button should minimize the Spotify window"

good job devs!

note: if u guys using cinnamon desktop like me, u need to enable this applets and put it wherever panels u guys like. it's that simple, mine used to be at the bottom panel, (but i removed it and forgot to enabled it again 🤓)

Screenshot from 2024-01-02 16-47-45.png

Thanks for working on this, really appreciate it.

On Fedora 39, GNOME 45.3 and the AppIndicator and KStatusNotifer Support extension, Spotify does appear in the tray and minimizes to it (keeps running), but the tray menu does not allow to re-open it. It only shows the Exit option.

When Spotify is open, the tray menu has "Minimize to Tray" and "Exit" options.

If you close the window, the tray menu now only has the "Exit" option.

If you don't close the window but instead click on the tray menu and "Minimize to Tray", the window closes as expected and the tray menu continues to only have "Exit".

Double clicking the icon has no effect either.

Another issue is that, upon starting, the tray icon is not there if though the option to minimize to the tray is activated. If you toggle it in Settings, then the icon appear.

I've installed it using the flatpak from flathub.org. The version is 1.2.26.1187.g36b715a1

gtirloni_0-1704888830820.png

For fedora, install the rpm package:

sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo=https://negativo17.org/repos/fedora-spotify.repo

sudo dnf install spotify-client

see more: https://negativo17.org/spotify-client/

Also install libayatana-appindicator for the tray to work correctly:

sudo dnf copr enable till/xpad
sudo dnf install libayatana-appindicator libayatana-appindicator libayatana-ido libayatana-indicator xpad

@temcodes thanks for the help. I tried it but it has the exact same issue (even uninstalled the flatpak to make sure nothing was conflicting). The good news is that the icon is color now instead of the black/white in the Flatpak but that's all.

I tested it twice, once just the spotify-client from negativo17 and then again after installing xpad, but the result was the same.

Maybe I ask which GNOME version you have? I wonder if this is actually an issue with that GNOME extension.

I'm currently using fedora 39 + kde, no problems observed so far. I just tested the latest version of the app with gnome 44 and you are right, indeed the latest version of spotify seems to have broken compatibility a bit. I only have one "Exit" item displayed too.

Hope the developers see this 🙂

thanks for double checking. tbh, GNOME design decisions puzzle me so I would assume they are somehow making it harder for app devs, if I had to guess. 

I'll see what I can figure out in the extension itself, maybe that's the issue.

In `journalct /usr/bin/gnome-shell -f -o cat`, I don't see any errors when Spotify starts or when I close the window.

The only error I see is when I click the tray icon to open Spotify:

```

spotify-client, does not support activation: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such method “Activate”

```

These are the logs from Spotify itself:

```

$ flatpak run com.spotify.Client
/app/extra/bin/spotify: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /app/extra/bin/spotify)
[spotifywm] attached to spotify
/app/extra/share/spotify/spotify: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /app/extra/share/spotify/spotify)
/app/extra/share/spotify/spotify: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /app/extra/share/spotify/spotify)
Gtk-Message: 10:45:46.644: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 10:45:46.644: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 10:45:46.645: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 10:45:46.645: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
[spotifywm] spotify window 2600004 found
[spotifywm] spotify window 2400003 found
/proc/self/exe: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /proc/self/exe)
[spotifywm] spotify window 2c00007 found
[spotifywm] spotify window 2c00007 found

```

Logs from Electron...

Closed window:

C45: -> :1.52 call org.freedesktop.IBus.InputContext.Reset at /org/freedesktop/IBus/InputContext_17
C56: -> all signal com.canonical.dbusmenu.ItemsPropertiesUpdated at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client/Menu

Clicked tray icon (nothing happened):

B5546: <- :1.23 call org.kde.StatusNotifierItem.ProvideXdgActivationToken at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client
C58: -> :1.23 return error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod from B5546
B5547: <- :1.23 call org.kde.StatusNotifierItem.Activate at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client
C59: -> :1.23 return error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod from B5547
B5548: <- :1.23 call com.canonical.dbusmenu.Event at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client/Menu
B5549: <- :1.23 call com.canonical.dbusmenu.AboutToShow at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client/Menu
C60: -> :1.23 return from B5548
C61: -> :1.23 return from B5549
B5550: <- :1.23 call com.canonical.dbusmenu.GetGroupProperties at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client/Menu
C62: -> :1.23 return from B5550
B5551: <- :1.23 call com.canonical.dbusmenu.Event at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client/Menu
C63: -> :1.23 return from B5551

Right-clicked tray icon (only Exit option shown):

B5560: <- :1.23 call com.canonical.dbusmenu.Event at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client/Menu
B5561: <- :1.23 call com.canonical.dbusmenu.AboutToShow at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client/Menu
C64: -> :1.23 return from B5560
C65: -> :1.23 return from B5561
B5562: <- :1.23 call com.canonical.dbusmenu.Event at /org/ayatana/NotificationItem/spotify_client/Menu
C66: -> :1.23 return from B5562

I would also like to remind you that the spotify team does not officially support the flatpak version

Anyone knows, is there a way to make the systray icon show up on Fedora40/Gnome 46 using Wayland?
Not working at all with dash to panel extension and tray icons reloaded would only work for some apps but not for Spotify.
I have enabled the option "Close button should minimize spotify" but it doesn't work, it will just close the app.

LE: Works fine using the latest version of this gnome extension: AppIndicator and KStatusNotifierItem Support

Suggested posts