Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Other] How to choose the audio output device

[Desktop][Other] How to choose the audio output device

I have a bluetooth headphone connected to my laptop, it is selected as the default output device and all applications play through the headphone. However Spotify app doesnt play through the headphone instead it plays through the laptop speakers... How do I change the output device in the Spotify app? 

I have read a lot of "Solutions" here on the community pages but none of the options/settings appear to exist.. are they removed in an effort to "not bother users with settings"?

How do I change the output device in 2022??

Is there a way?

5 Replies

Hey there @crostine

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

There's no option to choose a default output in the app. In this case, we suggest that you check your PC's audio settings and make sure that all audio is using your headphones as the output. 

In the app, you can connect your headphones using the Connect feature following the steps here.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Music

For Windows users, the info provided by Eni would be incorrect.  This was filed under Desktop Linux but came up in Google results, so I thought the Windows instructions would help.  While the Volume Mixer does not provide individual output settings, the new "App volume and device preferences" screen within the Windows Settings app does allow this.

1. Open the Spotify app and start playing.
  2. Click, tap, or press the Windows Start button.
  3. Type "App volume" and press Enter
  4. The "Sound mixer options" icon should show up at the top of the Start menu.  Select that.
  5. This should bring you directly to the "App volume and device preferences" screen.
  6. Next to Spotify Music there should be 2 boxes that say "Default".
  7. The top box is output and the bottom box is input.  Simply click the top box and select the output device you want.

As this is under Desktop Linux and I don't see any answers pertaining to Linux, I'll add some input. If you use Pipewire you might want to try a patchbay like Helvum or qpwgraph to reroute your application audio to your headphones. You could also try another Wireplumber GUI in order to accomplish this.

Fantastic, I have a soundblaster which is my preferred output to my soundbar while doing all pc work including gaming, and I have a USB DAC attached to a nice pair of speakers which I prefer when listening to music, your solution worked a treat. Brilliant, thanks again

Suggested posts