Flatpak Spotify is official?

Flatpak Spotify is official?

vleeth

Is the flatpak version of spotify made directly by the developers of spotify and is the snap version the only official one?

Operating System

(Linux)

1 Reply

Re: Flatpak Spotify is official?

JasonLG1979
Composer

The short answer is no, the Spotify flatpak is not maintained by Spotify developers.

The long answer is that I don't even think the snap package is maintained by Spotify? I think it's more officially sanctioned by Spotify?

In all actuality the Spotify desktop app really isn't supported officially at all on Linux and not maintained as it should be. I haven't used it on Windows or Mac but if it's anything like the Linux version as far as how crusty and generally low quality it is it's pretty shameful as a whole.

The flatpak as part of it's build process actually downloads the snap and uses the containing binaries and re-wraps it up as a flatpak while also fixing/working around a few bugs in the official app inside the flatpak wrapper.

The flatpak is going to give you a better experience as less things are broken. (there are A LOT of YEARS OLD outstanding bugs in the Linux version)

SUGGESTED POSTS