Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Can't log in, error code 2.

Solved!

[Linux] Can't log in, error code 2.

Hi there,

I've been using spotify for a few weeks now.

I recently tried to reinstall the desktop app on my Arch Linux system, while I was trying to fix a playlist issue, but since then, I can't log in with it any more. Before that, I could log in fine for 3 to 4 weeks.

I'm currently using version 1.0.19.106.

I also use spotify on my phone (android), on another computer on windows (same network as the linux one) , and I even tried the web app. On each of these, I can log in just fine. It's just on linux that I can't.

Every time, I get this error :

errorcode2.jpg

I tried talking with SpotifyCares on twitter, but their last answer was that there isn't any official support for linux, and I should try my luck here.

I've also tried to do a proper reinstall of the app, so uninstall, rm the ~/.config/spotify folder, and reinstall. No dice.

For those who know arch, I'm using the AUR package. For the others, it's a non-official but widely used user repository, basically.

Hopefully, you guys may have an idea of what's happening, or things I could try to fix this.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @gleydsonsilva,

I can give you kinda decent workaround on that, but you will have to start Spotify only from the Unity launcher ( if you are using Ubuntu ).

First you have to lock Spotify to LauncherFirst you have to lock Spotify to Launcher

Open up terminal and edit the /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

sudo nano /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

Modify the Exec=spotify %U line to :

Exec=spotify %U --ap=194.132.196.162

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hey @kryoox,

Welcome to Spotify Community.

Can you strace spotify and let me know the outcome?

strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump 2>&1

Hey @ !

Here's the output, hopefully it helps.

EDIT : A pastebin might be better ^^

http://pastebin.com/Tt95mjNZ

Hey @kryoox,

It looks like connectivity issue.

Can you ping/tracert any of this servers :

Can you also confirm if there are any restriction on your end for the following ports:

Edit : Can you try using the google dns server?

sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

I can ping those 5 servers without any problem, both with the google dns and the ones I usually use (openNIC). And the latency is not crazy (42ms average).

As for the ports, I haven't edited the configuration of my router in months now. Those 3 are open, just as they were back when it worked. I haven't changed anything about them.

Hey @kryoox,

Can you tell me your Spotify and libssl versions?

I am kinda suspicious that the issue is related to libssl.

Spotify : 1.0.19.106

LibSSL : OpenSSL 1.0.2e

I have the same problem. did You solved?

here is my strace 

http://pastebin.com/YxUVTHeR

Hey @gleydsonsilva,

Can you start Spotify from the terminal like this and let me know if it works:

spotify --ap=194.132.196.162

It works @

Marked as solution

Hey @gleydsonsilva,

I can give you kinda decent workaround on that, but you will have to start Spotify only from the Unity launcher ( if you are using Ubuntu ).

First you have to lock Spotify to LauncherFirst you have to lock Spotify to Launcher

Open up terminal and edit the /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

sudo nano /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

Modify the Exec=spotify %U line to :

Exec=spotify %U --ap=194.132.196.162

Really thanks @Dreadlord. I'm using gnome-shell, i did exacly how you say, and its working perfecly now, and i can launch not necessary from the gnome laucher, i can launch just pressing super, and type spotify, and its worksing.

Hey  Dreadlord I did this and works Itry to make permanet the way you said but I'm Debian 8.5 jessie and it doesn't work that way, do you know how makw it permanent on debian 8?

I have the exact same problem and I started it from command line like below and it works. But, how to permanentelly fix this issue?

Thanks! This works for me 😄

this worked for me as well!

how can i make this permenant, or maybe i will just do an alias.

thanks!

using ubuntu 14.04

cheers

Suggested posts