Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Solved!

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Current method to install the spotify rpm is based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Basically, this automates the process of downloading, building and installing a spotity rpm based on the official Debian packages.

EDIT: Bug reported (page 19), temporary work-around published.

EDIT: New solution based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Old  method deprecated but still available.

EDIT: updated for new upstream release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.1.55.

EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 published

EDIT: Update header to include F19

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.0.133

EDIT: updating link

EDIT: new solution for 0.8.8 published.

223 Replies

When using the installer this way it installs in the systemwide directories. Unfortunately, this creates a mess with mixed-up rpm and installer files. As a first step remove the files with 'sudo make uninstall' and 'sudo rpm -e spotify-client' to hopefully clean this up.

Then, make a user install as I noted :). Look at the github page for the installer, there's all you need (the first example). It will install into $HOME. I don't really expect this to resolve the problem, but it's a start...

If you need to paste long logs, please use pastebin or similar to insert a link. It makes this thread easier to read.

"scratching my head"

--alec

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the last post.  I did remove the RPM prior to installing the system-wide installer.  I have now removed the system-wide and used the user method with the same results. 

If you would like to view the output: http://pastebin.com/afGmbY7d

It sounds like I am the only one who has run into this issue, so most definately something I have done on my side. 

I am running a lenovo W530 i7 8G ram. 

using RPMfusion and bumblebee repositories on top of the regular fedora.

SElinux is set to permissive

BTW, What does the RPATH hex do prior to building the RPM?

Thanks,

Ben

I actually guessed it would be the same, but needed to exclude obvious errors.

The only clue we have is the error message:

Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40805) with this library (version 0x40803)

My (educated or not) guess is that spotify of some reason is linked to a qt library with version 4.8.3. This is strange, fedora is at version 4.8.5, at least as updated. Running 'ldd spotify' will show you how the runtime linker  resolves spotify's dynamic references. If you find any qt with version 4.8.3 in that list it would be a proof of the error.

Of course, adding external repositories carries a risk of incompatibilities of this kind. 'Using rpm -qa | grep -i qt'  you will get a list of all installed qt packages. You can then use 'yum info' to show from which repo  these have been installed. If any of them is from this bumblebee repo, that's probably the root cause.

BTW, what's bumblebee? Just curious... 🙂

EDIT. The 'RPATH hex do prior to building the RPM' has been answered earlier in this thread. In short, it disables some RPATH checking; depending on configuraiton it might also be a no-op.

I found the issue.  I have Vandyke SecureCRT installed and it is using those binaries.  Changing now.

You actually don't build the binary, it's just downloaded and copied to the proper location. This gets more and more weird. Are you saying that /usr/lib[64]/spotify-client/spotify is a statically linked app?!

No sorry, I had it wrong.  I was using ldd against the wrong file and misinterpreting the result.

Issue was that I had installed a similar binary (Vandyke SecureCRT) built for Ubuntu like spotify is, but had mistakenly added an entry for the libs in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ at the instructions of another post.  This was not needed.  I have removed the ld entry and re-run ldconfig and spotify runs properly now.

Thanks for all of your help.

I'd done alright with converting the .debs to RPMs using alien up to the latest release where my openssl symlinks (I know, tsk tsk) no longer work.

Followed the directions in the first post and can +1 working spotify-client-0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-4.fc18.x86_64.rpm on F18

Thanks leamas!

New method published!

At last, we have been able to make spotify-client part of the semi-official rpmfusion repository! This has not been much of a technical problem  but a legal one. I have had extremely long processes first with spotify and later on also with Fedora.  Anyway, all these obstacles are now cleared and there's now a lpf-spotify-client package in rpmfusion which automates  the process of downloading, building and installing a spotify rpm.

As usual, follow the link from beginning of this thread to find the procedure.

Although I'll try to still be available in this thread, there's now official bugtrackers  to use:

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/ - problems in lpf-spotify-client.

https://github.com/leamas/lpf - problems in lpf.

If in doubts which to use, go for the github one. Of course,  when appropriate filing bugs is superior to using this thread.

Tested lpf-spotify-client on fc20.x86_64 worked totally fine.. Great work !!

I am also on fc20.x86_64 and it worked great. I assume that I will have to run 'lpf update' again each time there is a new spotify client release, correct?

each time there is an lpf-spotify-client update, yes

Some kind of notification system is planned,  but I havn't really decided how it should be implemented.

Hi guys

I'm totally new to Fedora, just trying it out (used to Ubuntu though). First thing I did was install Skype, then install Spotify. I couldn't get through with the instructions as given, as it would fail on "lpf update". Looking at the build log, I saw that it was exiting at what appears to be a prompt for installing dependencies. I then went ahead and installed these myself (python-devel and another, whose name I've unfortunately forgotten now).

I'm running Fedora 20, 64 bit, and installed spotify Version 0.9.4.183.g644e24e0.

Now it's working fine. And my media keys even work right out of the box! 😄

Cheers

Mark

Hi!

Thanks for feedback!

Yes, this is a known bug (should have filed it, but havn't  "blushes"). The other missing package is dbus-x11. python-devel is already in the depenedency chain, so that should not be necessary..

For the majority of users this doesn't matter, since a standard gnome installations will have these packages anyway. Nevertheless, it is a bug.

I have already made an update, but unfortunately it's yet not available. Until it hits the repos, the work-around is

sudo yum install dbus-x11
lpf update

Thanks again for reporting this!

Hi, lpf is in the state "install build dependencies" for quite a while now.. (10min)

I canceled and retried for several times. What could be the problem?

What I did:

- install fresh fedora

- add fedorafusion

- install lpf-spotify

The first time I started lpf-spotify I got an error message. There are no errors with `lpf update`

Thanks in advance!

... apparantly it wasn't able to install packages. I read the logs and installed the packages manually.

Greetings dtrn

Hm. Do you by accident have the failing log around? If so, please post it (using pastebin or so) so we can get a hint about what happened here. Whatever you run into, it shouldn't happen...

BTW: I just pushed a new update of lpf. What version of lpf have you installed ('rpm -q lpf' gives the answer)?

The following is for experienced Fedora users reading this. If it doesn't make sense to you, just ignore it.

I have pushed a fix for the latest version of lpf, which is needed by lpf-spotify-client. Basically it's about correcting two typos.  However, in order to be able to make  it publicly available I need some karma. So, please add some  karma at [1] and [2].

--alec

[1]  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2014-1479/lpf-0.1-5.36e5aa0.fc19

[2]  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2014-1488/lpf-0.1-5.36e5aa0.fc20

Hi.  I'm running Fedora 19.  I am not able to get spotify to play back local files.

I've tried using the web player, the fedora package (lpf-update method), and the windows version under wine.  In all three cases, I get streaming music, but I don't get local file playback.

I've done quite a bit of poking around the internet, and it seems like it should be possible.  I think I need some way of telling spotify what library to use to decode mp3 files.  I've tried various things, but I haven't figured out how to get it to work.  Does anyone have a solution?

Are you sure the local paths are up2date? The client does not update them automatically (at least mine), so if you moved your local files into another directory or renamed them, you may have to delete/reindex all "local files"

As parbo stated in [1], local playback in general and in particular for mp3 files  is broken.

On Linux, alternatives like rhytmbox, banshee or songbird are actually superior to spotify for this purpose.

Sorry to bring bad news,

--alec.

[1] http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Linux-Spotify-0-8-8-for-GNU-Linux/td-p/23...

Suggested posts