Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Solved!

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Current method to install the spotify rpm is based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Basically, this automates the process of downloading, building and installing a spotity rpm based on the official Debian packages.

EDIT: Bug reported (page 19), temporary work-around published.

EDIT: New solution based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Old  method deprecated but still available.

EDIT: updated for new upstream release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.1.55.

EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 published

EDIT: Update header to include F19

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.0.133

EDIT: updating link

EDIT: new solution for 0.8.8 published.

223 Replies

Just another success report for F18 - works great. Thanks for your work, and a shame that Spotify official does not provide these...

II just get the following on Fedora 19

chris@snoopy 18:40:12 ~ $ spotify
spotify: /lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: version `OPENSSL_0.9.8' not found (required by spotify)
spotify: /lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8: version `OPENSSL_0.9.8' not found (required by spotify)
chris@snoopy 18:40:19 ~ $

Then nothing. Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

I'm no expert, but I just installed it again on a Fedora 19 64bit machine and it worked for me. One thing I notice is that your error messages point to '/lib64' where as the file location on mine is '/lib64/spotify-client/'. For example:

[vespa@localhost ~]$ ls -lrht /lib64/spotify-client/
total 80M
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  26M Jun 12 17:57 spotify-bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  53M Jun 12 17:57 libcef.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 294K Jun 17 09:19 libssl.so.0.9.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.5M Jun 17 09:19 libcrypto.so.0.9.8
etc...

Does your installed RPM have the files included?

[vespa@localhost ~]$ rpm -ql spotify-client                                        
/usr/bin/spotify
/usr/lib64/spotify-client
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/Data
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/chrome.pak
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/devtools_resources.pak
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/libcef.so
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/libnspr4.so.0d
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/libnss3.so.1d
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/libnssutil3.so.1d
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/libplc4.so.0d
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/libsmime3.so.1d
/usr/lib64/spotify-client/libssl.so.0.9.8
etc...

If not, maybe, uninstall everything including the ~/rpmbuild directory and start from scratch? (the above lists /usr/lib64 since /lib64 is symlinked to /usr/lib64 in Fedora)

Hm... here are some missing pieces....

• You have followed the instructions under the "Solution" link, i. e., built a rpm file and installed it?
  • Have you tried to install spotify some other way before that?
  • What does the command "which spotify" show?

As vespa says, this does not happen when applying the solution procedure on a clean f19 host, so it's likely to be something on your system which differs.

does

$ sudo yum install openssl-devel

help?

Thanks for being helpful, but that would certainly not work. The error messages are from ld.so, which is looking for libssl.so.0.9.8 (having the soname OPENSSL_0.9.8). This is not in the  -devel package which is headers and unversioned  libssl.so symlink, and the Fedora version is 1.0.0 since long.

The spotify package bundles libssl and libcrypto 0.9.8 and places them in the same directory as the spotify app. The spotify app has a $ORIGIN rpath which makes it resolve runtime dependencies from the same directory as the application. This is how it works when everything is OK.

In this case, it seems that the application does not find the libssl 0.9.8 bundled libs. My first guess is that 'spotify' actually invokes something else than the 'spotify' command installed by the rpm.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. That's helpful for understanding what's going on.

Rainer

PS: once again a big thx for your work!

Dude, you're awesome!

I'm quite fresh with Linux and guys like you make it all clear.

There's no going back to Windows world!

Thanks for awesome job you're doing here! 😃

Awesome!

I use GNOME 3, and Spotify hangs X. Killing it makes X unfreeze.

Śince Gnome3 is the default desktop since F17, and we hve quite  a lot of success stories from F17-F18-F19 this is likely to be related to your particular system. What are you using besides gnome3? (os, platrform, graphics driver?)

Marked as solution

Lovely. Got it working thanks.

I perhaps should have mentioned that I did have Spotify (0.8.8) working just fine under Fedora 17, then I used FedUp to get from F17->F19 and, as Spotify no longer worked, updated Spotify to the current release too.

Anyway, following your advice I uninstalled Spotify, deleted the intermediate files, made sure that my Fedora installation was pukka by doing

yum --releasever=19 distro-sync --assumeyes

...and then ran the Spotify installer script from this thread.

This time everything works as it should.

Many thanks for your help.

F18, GNOME3, NVIDIA 304 driver from rpmfusion. I also had this problem earlier, on Sabayon.

Thar's exactly my system where I write this. What makes X hang? Some specific command, directly at startup?

Just to clean the table you might want to reinstall the bvidia driver. I've had random problems after running yum fixed by this.

That doesn't help, as I had it on multiple distros.

There's one condition: Spotify window must be visible. After that, it plays music, and after while interface hangs. Music plays, but I can't do anything with mouse/keyboard. After killing Spotify everything returns back to normal.

As a side note: I launch Spotify on second screen

Ah, that sidenote is the difference, I presume.

Since this doesn't seem to be a packaging issue, or even a Fedoŕa one, I suggest you open a new thread about it. Some obvious questions which are likely to come up in such a thread would be

• You are talking about having this issue on multiple distros. Which?
  • What happens if you use nouveau instead? (if nouveau can handle mulitple screens, I have frankly no idea)
  • What happens if you open spotify on your primary screen?

It works well on my FC19 x86_64 using XFCE as desktop manager.

Thanks for your work 😉

you can generalize the installer line also like this:

# yum install ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/$(uname -i)/spotify-client*.rpm

Thanks for the spotify client rpms! Works awesomely!

works perfectly on Fedora 20 alpha

New LInux client is released and the spec thus broken. Will try to look into this during the weekend. Stay tuned.

Suggested posts