Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Solved!

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

In June 2015 we released version 1.x of the client for Linux in the testing repository.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Spotify-Client-1-x-beta-for-Linux-has-been-r...

The intention was to fix a few of the bigger issues and then quickly move this to stable. That never happened, since after September, we have had no developers working on the linux client. There are still lots of problem with this version of the client for linux, but we are now seeing much more problems with the old client.

Known linux specific issues in 1.0.23

Most of these we want to fix, but others (like missing tray icon) we probably won't. Link to threads with more issues you have and I will try to add them here. If you can't find your issue already reported, create a new thread and follow this troubleshooting guide for linux.

From now on, the idea is to first release a client to the testing repository as soon as possible, when it is ready internally, then after a week or so if we haven't discovered any serious new crash bug that affects lots of users, it will move to stable. Most of the time, a new linux release will have no linux specific changes, only the changes it shares with the mac and win clients.

Stable repository

To install a client from the stable repository follow the instructions on https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Testing repository

To install a client from the testing repository, follow the same instructions, but replace the word stable with testing.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

262 Replies

Great news! But wasn't it already working in 1.0.27?

I didn't notice anything new/fixed in the brief moments I tried 1.0.28 today in Cinnamon.

@jooon , did you fix something in 1.0.28? Any progress in the work with Clem? 🙂

Yep. MPRIS was actually broken in 1.0.27 but worked already in most desktop environments. 1.0.28 had a tiny fix to make MPRIS behave better, which made it work in KDE.

No work with Clem, but he sent a nice and long message with lots of good ideas.

Do you happen to know what else was fixed in 1.0.28, also for other OS?

Since the version 1.0.28, Spotify seems to regularly grab X11 screen. Notably when starting/stopping through MPRIS dbus interface. This happens during 15 seconds, then the grab is released.

Since 1.0.28, Spotify is grabbing X11 screen when sending a command over MPRIS. After 20 seconds, I get:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I have no listener. I am using dbus-send to send a message to the bus.

My bad, the "problem" is on my side. But it is triggered by the fact that no reply is answered by sending a MPRIS command over DBus:

dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Next

The action works, but no reply.

Is Next supposed to reply with something?

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/mpris-spec/latest/Player_Interface.html#Method:Next

With Spotify 1.0.27 and 1.0.28 (no difference for me),I see this:

$ dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Next
method return sender=:1.617 -> dest=:1.726 reply_serial=2

With amarok 2.8.0 I get:

$ dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.amarok /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Next
method return sender=:1.727 -> dest=:1.750 reply_serial=2

With rhythmbox 3.0.2 I get:

$ dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Next
method return sender=:1.705 -> dest=:1.718 reply_serial=2

You get a "method return". I just get Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply instead. I use dbus 1.10.8 and other dbus stuff seems to work just fine (for example, Network Manager). I just remove the "--print-reply" and this works for me.

Hello I am using Spotify in Debian Sid amd64 and reports that works great!

Today I updated spotify client:

Unpacking spotify-client (1:1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce-37) over (1:1.0.25.127.g58007b4c-22) ...

I am using E21-beta with staloney tray... I want to know if Spotify can be iconified, or if spotify for GNU/Linux supports tray icons? In my case when closed the window of Spotify... closes Spotify... as you can see I have tray icons of ownCloud and Skype but Spotify.

shot-2016-04-29_19-21-18.jpg

I paid subscription just because you support GNU/Linux... the Android version sucks... but I have to use to safely ride my bike with fun!

I can also confirm that MPRIS support in back in KDE 5.x. To be honest, the play/pause button on my keyboard started to take it personally 🙂

Thanks a lot for the work jooon!

Same here, it works on KDE, thank you jooon!

1.0.28 fixes the Spotify management on sound indicator on 14.04 Xubuntu.

Gj guys keep it up.

Very nice to see development proceeds. - Thank you 🙂

Whole family run Spotify but only on linux.

I am trying to read up on the current state but there are so much here...

Is there some page that sums up current state, issues, workarounds?

Such as the problematic need for libgcrypt.so.11 which is not shipped with many current and coming distributions, where  libgcrypt.so.20 ships.

And what is the state of 32 bit version?

Because of problems i have read we here all use 1 to two year old versions on both 32 and 64 bit (works good)

The spotify download page is really limited to one of all dists and lack important links.

IMO it really should be updated to include links to development builds, installers like Leamas, known bugs and workarounds. 

(here is my workaround for upcoming Mageia 6 BTW )

(EDIT: corrected link)

@MorganLeijstrom wrote:

Very nice to see development proceeds. - Thank you 🙂

Whole family run Spotify but only on linux.

I am trying to read up on the current state but there are so much here...

Is there some page that sums up current state, issues, workarounds?

Such as the problematic need for libgcrypt.so.11 which is not shipped with many current and coming distributions, where  libgcrypt.so.20 ships.

And what is the state of 32 bit version?

Because of problems i have read we here all use 1 to two year old versions on both 32 and 64 bit (works good)

The spotify download page is really limited to one of all dists and lack important links.

IMO it really should be updated to include links to development builds, installers like Leamas, known bugs and workarounds. 

(here is my workaround for upcoming Mageia 6 BTW )

Hey @MorganLeijstrom,

I am trying to keep track of the current issues here, but unfortunally this is kinda hard with the newly introduced bugs and all the changes to the client.

If you or anyone else wants to help me with that task, don't hesitate and send me a PM  : )

Thanks, added that link to my post @ Mageia forum

I was wondering if spotify could split the icon tray, and MPRIS from the linux project and make that part open source? It could help becuase other people could contribute.

For those interested, I wrote a small script which can be used to launch the Spotify client and have it in the taskbar.
I tested it only for Cinnamon, buy I assume it will work also for other DEs.

You must first install wmctrl and xdtool.
Then, create a file called "launch_spotify.sh" ou anything you want and paste this into it:

#!/bin/sh

# open spotify
spotify &

# wait for a little and move it to the last workspace and 
# then back to the current workspace giving focus on it
sleep 1
wid=$(wmctrl -l | grep 'Spotify' | tail -n1 | awk '{print $1}')
num_desks=$(xdotool get_num_desktops)
curr_desk=$(xdotool get_desktop)
last_desk=$(($num_desks-1))
if [ "$curr_desk" -eq "$last_desk" ]; then
	moveto=$(echo '0')
else
	moveto=$last_desk
fi

# tried this but does not work (I don't know why)
# wmctrl -x $wid; wmctrl -r $wid -t $moveto; wmctrl -R $wid

xdotool set_desktop_for_window $wid $moveto; xdotool set_desktop_for_window $wid $curr_desk; xdotool windowactivate $wid

Then just give it the right permissions and you should be able to launch it and have it in the taskbar.
The trick is to move the client to another workspace and then move it back.

Hope it helps!

Just to add that the script can be improved, maybe to just use either wmctrl or xdotool, but this is what came up when I was doing it, and for my needs it's alright.

I use Enlightenment as desktop environment... I wrote a little article how to use Fn to works with Spotify:

https://www.estebanmonge.tk/doku.php/spotify?s[]=enlightenment

Maybe have english mistakes =$

Please add the "add-repository" command to the instructions in https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/. Otherwise apt-key will fail with a cumbersome error message.

sudo apt-add-repository -y "deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free" &&

Suggested posts