Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Versions of Spotify for Linux?

Solved!

New Versions of Spotify for Linux?

Good day folks. I recently installed Spotify for Linux based on the instructions posted, fixed the libgcrypt issue, and Spotify runs pretty much just fine.

This is my first time running Spotify for Linux and I couldn't help but notice that the UI in this version appears to be extremely old. For example, "Discover" still shows up instead of "Browse" like in the Windows and Mac clients. The UI has that old grey border instead of the modern black borders as well. Perhaps I'm missing an update. 

Are there any recent updates that have the more modern UI out there? If so, what's the best way to install it? According to APT and the reposity we're required to add, I'm using the most up to date version.

Thanks so much for your time. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @danzigism,

Welcome to Spotify Community!

I guess you are using the 0.9 version ( it's the most recent stable version and it's the one you can install via apt-get ).

You can get the most recent version ( non-stable ) from this link.

sudo gdebi spotify-client_*.deb

This is going to install the dependencies as well.

Let me know if you need anything else. : )

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @danzigism,

Welcome to Spotify Community!

I guess you are using the 0.9 version ( it's the most recent stable version and it's the one you can install via apt-get ).

You can get the most recent version ( non-stable ) from this link.

sudo gdebi spotify-client_*.deb

This is going to install the dependencies as well.

Let me know if you need anything else. : )

Fantastic! That worked like a champ. Thank you so much for your help. I now have the latest build and it is a beautiful thing. 

Hurray!!! Today was a good day. 

The 1.x version (currently in beta) might also be installed with apt-get. That way when there's an update, you'll get it.

You need to use the "testing" repository instead of the "stable" one, which is

deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free

The current version is 1.0.19.106 (actually, the same you downloaded directly with the link provided by Dreadlord).

Here's the original thread announcing the 1.x release for Linux: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Spotify-Client-1-x-beta-for-Linux-has-been-r...

Suggested posts