Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify LInux 0.9.17 not working on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Solved!

Spotify LInux 0.9.17 not working on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Dear Spotify Team,

I updated this morning on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS the spotify-client from version 0.9.11.27 to 0.9.17.1. Since this update, Spotify is completely unable to launch and only displays the following error

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There seems to be some problems related to dynamic linking... The current versions of libudev0 and libudev-dev that I have are both 175-0ubuntu9.9.

Do you have any solution ?

Kind regards,

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You can clone the library "libudev.so.0"  that exist in your OS with other name (libudev.so.1)

sudo ln -sf /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1

View solution in original post

14 Replies

You could try reinstalling the older version, or trying the new 1.0 version for linux here:

https://twitter.com/felipernb/status/575669571044114432

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Now, I understand why version 0.9.17.1 was buggy : when updating Spotify to this version, the new deb package did not mention to satify a new dependency called libudev1 (and yet the only one installed on my computer was libudev0).

Concerning the new version 1.0, I was not aware of it. Why isn't it broadcast in the official Spotify DEB repository ?

EDIT: I just tried to install version 1.0 but there is once more a dependencies problem as shown below

spotify: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by spotify)

Not sure why it isn't listed. A Spotify employee tweeted it out though.

I don't use the Linux version, so I have no idea what the problem is. Just trying to help out in any way I can

MattSudaSpotify Star

Update:

Read this:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-0-9-17-for-GNU-Linux-and-the-upc...

And this:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Linux-desktop-client-suddenly-won-t-work...

MattSudaSpotify Star

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

KLX

Hi there. We got the same error but I was able to fixed mine. And I'm running my spotify on that version. I'm a noob but I fixed mine by reading, researching and recompiling some of the stuffs. I followed this steps by Mr. Roger Steneteg thanks to him.

Steps and stuffs you need.

1. If you don't want to add em to your repository you can get them from here.

2. Open your status file at /var/lib/dpkg/status search for spotify-client, under spotify-client find the depends: line and remove the libssl0.9.8 dependency. We might have different version of libssl cuz mine is 1.0.0. And I got my version of libssl on this link.

3. I assumed you guys are done reading and following this guide.

til we encountered this error spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

4. I got my version of libudev.so.1 from this link. But I didn't download the file or dpkg it cuz I don't wanna messed up my system cuz as I've said I'm a noob, instead I added sid repo to my /etc/opt/sources.list and comment to all those currently active repositories, I open up my Synaptic Package Manager and hit reload and search for libudev and install.

5. Once you installed it reboot then fire up your spotify. Happy listening and keep rockin \m/ d[0_0]b \m/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for those music lover getting this error. here's the fix.

root@pLugNpLay:~$ spotify
spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by spotify)
spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/Data/libcef.so)
spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/Data/libcef.so)

root@pLugNpLay:~$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

root@pLugNpLay:~$ sudo apt-get update
root@pLugNpLay:~$ sudo apt-get install libc6-dev

Marked as solution

You can clone the library "libudev.so.0"  that exist in your OS with other name (libudev.so.1)

sudo ln -sf /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1

It worked! Thanks a lot maurayes!

tried symlinking but didnt work on me.

See the post below for info about this issue. Bottom line: the symlinking workaround is the only option right now. The issue is known and will be fixed in a later release.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-0-9-17-for-GNU-Linux-and-the-upc...

This is the easiest and quickest solution.  Spotify developers, please consider making future builds backwards compatible with Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS

Haha ! This is the perfect solution. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be their main concern. I already reported a problem of memory leakage related to the usage of Spotify in Ubuntu 12.04 with GNOME Session Fallback but they do not seem to be interested enough...

You just need to type this:

Thanks, that worked perfectly!

Suggested posts