[Troubleshooting] Linux Spotify

Solved!

Re: [Troubleshooting] Linux Spotify

olejon
Roadie

L-Bit wrote:

I have the same issue:

Ubuntu 12:04, Premium account, Can't identify the ver of Spotify (lack of skills).

Spotify won't start from launcher, Terminal gives same result as jaanvaks

which is:

spotify: symbol lookup error: /usr/share/spotify/libcef.so: undefined symbol: g_type_class_adjust_private_offset 

I'm desperate for a fix that doesn't involve downgrading......

Also, I previously had a similar error as b584371 had:

layout: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by layout)

I found the following fix:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test 
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Well, Ubuntu 12.04 is no longer supported on the desktop (only the server version), so I suppose they don't develop for it. Coming versions will probably cause more problems every time. You can always use v 0.9 which works great on Ubuntu 12.04. It supports Spotify Connect and is stable and fast:

https://github.com/olejon/spotcommander/wiki/DowngradeSpotify

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!
1 person liked this

eiGhee4j
Casual Listener

I just updated to 1.0.32.94.g8a839395 and scrolling has become extremely sluggish and I also get screen tearing while scrolling. I believe this is related to smooth scrolling which was shipped in chromium recently but which can be disabled there. Can you please provide an option to disable smooth scrolling in Spotify?

Solution! 2 people liked this

Spotify
Spotify

eiGhee4j wrote:

I just updated to 1.0.32.94.g8a839395 and scrolling has become extremely sluggish and I also get screen tearing while scrolling. I believe this is related to smooth scrolling which was shipped in chromium recently but which can be disabled there. Can you please provide an option to disable smooth scrolling in Spotify?

Very likely related.

Some of the chromium options are available in Spotify as well, but since there is no chrome://flags/ page you have to set it from the command line.

spotify --disable-smooth-scrolling

It is unlikely that this will become a toggle in the settings menu.

eiGhee4j
Casual Listener

Some of the chromium options are available in Spotify as well, but since there is no chrome://flags/ page you have to set it from the command line.

spotify --disable-smooth-scrolling

This worked, thanks.

draconicrose
Regular

Hello everyone. I've been told to post here so, could anyone please take a look at https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Spotify-crashes-on-start-Linux-Mint-...? Thanks.

jalefkowit
Casual Listener

Does anyone else experience crashes when using the Discover Weekly playlist in the Linux desktop client? I've been hitting them fairly frequently lately, which is weird because it's been very stable for me in just about every other scenario. It just segfaults periodically when playing back the Discover playlist. Clearing the app's cache doesn't seem to have any effect.

Here's my info in the suggested support-post template format:

1. Your device and operating system: Desktop PC running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Free
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using: 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce
  4. Brief description of the issue: Desktop client segfaults periodically when playing back songs from the Discover Weekly playlist. Occurs both when playing in shuffle and non-shuffle modes. Appears to be related to particular songs -- e.g. sometimes it will play for a while and then crash, while other times it crashes right away if you start playback from a different song. I have not been able to identify a pattern in the songs that cause crashes, though.
  5. Steps to reproduce the issue:
    • Start the Spotify desktop client
    • Load the Discover Weekly playlist
    • Hit "play"
    • Wait for crash
  6. Attach the spotify-dump.txt:  Attached.

jalefkowit
Casual Listener

Update on my issue described above: it appears to be a case of the client crashing when it hits a song in the Discover playlist that I happen to have as a local file. So it's not so much a problem with the playlist as it is with local file playback.

I found this thread from last December elsewhere in the forum that claims to have a fix for crashes when playing back local files, but it as it involves installing a bunch of .deb packages from a random website I'm not really comfortable trying it for security reasons. If that's the official solution for local file playback, it'd be better if the instructions showed how to get the necessary packages from packages.ubuntu.com, packages.debian.org or some other official repository.

1 person liked this

durin
Roadie

jalefkowit wrote:

I found this thread from last December elsewhere in the forum that claims to have a fix for crashes when playing back local files, but it as it involves installing a bunch of .deb packages from a random website I'm not really comfortable trying it for security reasons. If that's the official solution for local file playback, it'd be better if the instructions showed how to get the necessary packages from packages.ubuntu.com, packages.debian.org or some other official repository.

Try this to add the official Ubuntu Trusty repository and install the required packages. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubu...

Other option is to find the required packages from packages.ubuntu.com or packages.debian.org

And the last option is to disable the local file playback from the Spotify settings.

jalefkowit
Casual Listener

durin wrote:

Try this to add the official Ubuntu Trusty repository and install the required packages. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubu...

Thanks for the pointer! I figured the packages were probably in the official repos somewhere. I grabbed them from the trusty release via packages.ubuntu.com and now local file playback appears to work.

It'd be better if Spotify didn't require me to go hunting for outdated packages to use that feature, of course, but I will take what I can get. :-D

corvusd
Regular

Hi community and devs,

Sorry for the off-topic.

This important linux website is inform that spotify support is end.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/spotify-web-player-desktop-integration-ubuntu

This forum is alive this months back... I can't understand what happens. Is true that situation of the not support?

Thanks advance,

David Gámiz Jiménez

SUGGESTED POSTS