Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Two versions of Spotify installed?

Solved!

Two versions of Spotify installed?

Hi,

Ubuntu 16.04. When I search for Spotify, I get two installed versions. One is the 'fixed DPI' version, which I'm logged in to; another is an 'unfixed DPI' version, which I am not logged into.

While this doesn't appear to have any ill effects, is there a way to delete the version that I don't use? It's the one with the bigger icon. 🙂

spotify.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Solution: I expect that I installed a version of Spotify from the command line, and a version from 'Ubuntu Software' app. I've been using the version from the command line, which shows up as '3rd party' in 'Ubuntu Software'. This is the version I'm logged into, and the version I have set up to work with hi-dpi displays.

I deleted the not-3rd-party version via 'Ubuntu Software', and now I just have one version of Spotify.

FWIW, I was also able to install two versions of Firefox: 'Firefox' and 'Firefox Web Browser'. 'Ubuntu Software' does not install 'Firefox Web Browser.' 'Firefox' appears to be Firefox, but without a menu ('File', 'Edit', etc.). RC may be the way Ubuntu handles apps installed via its GUI and programs installed via the CL.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hello,

Just to clarify, is the unfixed DPI the bigger icon?

Yes, that's correct.

Go to terminal (crtl+alt+t) and type: sudo apt list --installed > programlist.txt

This will create a text file with all your installed programs in it. Now open the file and search for Spotify. Can you send what the 2 different versions say?

Only one version.

spotify-client/stable,now 1:1.0.**bleep**.336.g7edcc575-39 amd64 [installed]

Marked as solution

Solution: I expect that I installed a version of Spotify from the command line, and a version from 'Ubuntu Software' app. I've been using the version from the command line, which shows up as '3rd party' in 'Ubuntu Software'. This is the version I'm logged into, and the version I have set up to work with hi-dpi displays.

I deleted the not-3rd-party version via 'Ubuntu Software', and now I just have one version of Spotify.

FWIW, I was also able to install two versions of Firefox: 'Firefox' and 'Firefox Web Browser'. 'Ubuntu Software' does not install 'Firefox Web Browser.' 'Firefox' appears to be Firefox, but without a menu ('File', 'Edit', etc.). RC may be the way Ubuntu handles apps installed via its GUI and programs installed via the CL.

Suggested posts