Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ubuntu 16 Error code 6

Solved!

Ubuntu 16 Error code 6

When I type sudo spotify in a terminal, it comes up just fine and works. When I just type spotify, I get an error code:6 message and the followin output:spotify
[0411/220925:ERROR:nss_util.cc(94)] Failed to create /home/rvand516/.pki/nssdb directory.
[0411/220925:ERROR:nss_util.cc(94)] Failed to create /home/rvand516/.pki/nssdb directory.
[0411/220925:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[0411/220925:ERROR:browser_context_impl.cc(231)] The cache_path directory could not be created: /home/rvand516/.cache/spotify/Browser
[0411/220925:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Also, if I run spotify in /usr/share/spotify/ I get the same problem. If I type sudo spotify, and lock the icon to the launcher, it still doesn't want to start up when clicking on that launcher icon.

I tried sudo chmod ... and sudo chown... no worky. Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You should never start spotify with sudo (or any similar programs really).

Looking at the error messages I guess your home directory has lots of files and directory with wrong permissions now.

If you for instance copy/paste this ls command in a terminal and look at who owns these directories, none of them should be owned by root.

ls -ld $HOME $HOME/.config $HOME/.cache $HOME/.pki

I recommend these commands to fix it. Set correct owner on all of those directories. Delete spotify's cache and config.

sudo chown $USER:$USER $HOME $HOME/.config $HOME/.cache $HOME/.pki
cd $HOME/.cache
sudo rm -r spotify
cd $HOME/.config
sudo rm -r spotify

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

The first two lines are actually not errors, just an optional extension file missing, but CEF (the library used by Spotify for the UI) reports them as errors. We have fixed that problem in 1.0.53.

The third line probably means that there is still permission problem in your home directory. To get rid of it, I recommend setting your normal user as owner of all files and directories in the .pki directory.

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME/.pki

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

You should never start spotify with sudo (or any similar programs really).

Looking at the error messages I guess your home directory has lots of files and directory with wrong permissions now.

If you for instance copy/paste this ls command in a terminal and look at who owns these directories, none of them should be owned by root.

ls -ld $HOME $HOME/.config $HOME/.cache $HOME/.pki

I recommend these commands to fix it. Set correct owner on all of those directories. Delete spotify's cache and config.

sudo chown $USER:$USER $HOME $HOME/.config $HOME/.cache $HOME/.pki
cd $HOME/.cache
sudo rm -r spotify
cd $HOME/.config
sudo rm -r spotify

I had the same exact error as decribed by OP. I followed your directions by removing Spotify from config and cache, and it seemed to work just fine. Not the case for me.When I run "Spotify" in my CLI, I now get this error.

[0425/222445:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[0425/222445:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[0425/222445:ERROR:nss_util.cc(713)] Error initializing NSS with a persistent database (sql:/home/bryan/.pki/nssdb): NSS error code: -8174

Also, as an additional note to my previous post, Spotify still does launch and I can navigate it, and play music just fine. Everything seems to be working alright, I still see those 3 errors come up.

I can lock the Spotify to launch bar, close it in the CLI, and open it straight from the launch bar just fine.

Marked as solution

The first two lines are actually not errors, just an optional extension file missing, but CEF (the library used by Spotify for the UI) reports them as errors. We have fixed that problem in 1.0.53.

The third line probably means that there is still permission problem in your home directory. To get rid of it, I recommend setting your normal user as owner of all files and directories in the .pki directory.

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME/.pki

Perfect, looks like that last fix to set my normal user as owner of all files and direcroties in the .pki directory.

Thank you so much!

Suggested posts