Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ubuntu 20.04-1 Crashes when "add source" for local songs

Solved!

Ubuntu 20.04-1 Crashes when "add source" for local songs

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Desktop

AMD R5 3600

AMD Powercolor RX580 8GB

Thermaltake Tough Ram 16Gb 3200MHz

Operating System

Ubuntu 20.04-1

My Question or Issue

When I attempt to "add a source" for local files Spotify will crash. You can see the file manager for a split second before both Spotify and it crashes/disappears. Have tried:

Reinstalling
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubuntu-16-04-SOLVED/...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Unable-to-Add-a-Directory-to-Play-Lo...

This is the Spotify dump for when I click on the "add source" button

Gtk-Message: 17:17:50.151: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: 17:17:50.151: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: 17:17:50.153: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search paths /snap/spotify/42/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri)
failed to load driver: radeonsi
MESA-LOADER: failed to open kms_swrast (search paths /snap/spotify/42/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri)
failed to load driver: kms_swrast
MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search paths /snap/spotify/42/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri)
failed to load swrast driver
MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search paths /snap/spotify/42/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri)
failed to load driver: radeonsi
MESA-LOADER: failed to open kms_swrast (search paths /snap/spotify/42/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri)
failed to load driver: kms_swrast
MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search paths /snap/spotify/42/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri)
failed to load swrast driver

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I originally installed via Ubuntu Software Store which gave me a newer version of spotify but has the issue mentioned above, just attempted to reinstall via https://www.spotify.com/us/download/linux/ and so far has been successful in adding a source. Whoop

View solution in original post

37 Replies
Marked as solution

I originally installed via Ubuntu Software Store which gave me a newer version of spotify but has the issue mentioned above, just attempted to reinstall via https://www.spotify.com/us/download/linux/ and so far has been successful in adding a source. Whoop

I have the same issue on Linux Mint Cinnamon 20, but reinstalling any version was not helpful for me. The problem persists. Starting from the terminal and letting it crash makes the terminal say "Segmentation fault (core dump)"

This is not a solution.

Sending the link to the standard installation of Spotify with Ubuntu. This dude send you logs about the issue their facing.

We did both Snap and apt install it does not work.
As soon as we click on add source in the Local Source of our Spotify instance, Spotify close. 

I am getting the same array of errors when starting Spotify from Terminal. However I am able to add source under Local Files. The file manager prompt looks terrible, but it works.

Perhaps you can get more information on what might be happening by running this command in Terminal:

spotify --log-file=spotify.log --trace-file=spotify.trace

and then trying to replicate the issue once Spotify is up.

The log file will show all kinds of stuff from audio to networking.. Hopefully at the end, when trying to add a source makes the client crash, this would say something useful.

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey there. I did that log-thing.

It doesn't seem to track the crash itself though.

The last things happening. Though I pressed on the "Add Source" button at minute 28 and with about 5 seconds. I don't know why it doesn't say anything about that. The new window that opens, when I try to "Add Source", is a small-windowed Spotify (see screenshot) in front of the "normal" Spotify-application. Maybe that counts as a different file or not, and isn't recorded because of that. I'm just guessing out of thin air, though. 

18:27:52.646 5 [playlist_be_pl4.cpp:446 ] synchronizeRootlist 'spotify:user:endermanagement:rootlist'
18:27:54.314 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2200 ] Pruning unused resources
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2325 ] Offline manager prune stats:
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2326 ] 3288 files locked in storage
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2327 ] 3 files unlocked in storage
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2328 ] 909 track keys in store
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2329 ] 0 episode keys in store
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2331 ] 0 track keys removed
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2332 ] 0 track keys moved to cache
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2333 ] 0 episode keys removed
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2334 ] 0 episode keys moved to cache
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2335 ] 0 keys removed from cache
18:27:54.320 I [offline_manager_impl.cpp:2336 ] 1 keys left in cache
18:27:57.022 E [pubsub_subscription.cpp:619 ] aq: LWS got LWS_CALLBACK_CLIENT_WRITEABLE
18:27:57.057 E [pubsub_subscription.cpp:619 ] aq: LWS got LWS_CALLBACK_CLIENT_RECEIVE_PONG

endermanagement_0-1602182022317.png

This does not work anymore, I installed the debian package, got exactly the same version (including the same bug) as I got from the software center (version 1.1.42.622.gbd112320).

edit:
ran it with log file and trace file set from command line, it crashed with a segmentation fault, the trace file did not get created, the log has no hints as to what caused it. I attached the logs.

That's weird. I have the same version of Spotify and even after ubuntu upgrade (to 20.04.1) everything seems to work.

Maybe something with permissions? If you haven't checked already, that is. There are some things I don't remember seeing there:

image.png

Let me know 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Hey there, how did you open that sweet permission window? Do I need to go at it with chmod and set it to 777 or sth. myself?

I tried this 

sudo chmod 777 .var/app/com.spotify.Client/

for the Software-Manager-Installation, but there was seemingly no difference then. 

Tried this 

sudo chmod 777 /var/snap/spotify

for the snap-installation after removing the Software-Manager-App. 

No change. 

The only things that I noticed as a difference is that whether or not I use this chmod-command, when I click on Add Source on the snap-installation it shows me the same popup window, but in white. (See screenshot) and that it disables the local-file option automatically on the snap-version when I restart after the crash. 

Screenshot from 2020-10-09 17-10-45.png

I'll check on Monday, when I'm back at work 😉

@endermanagement 

Ah no, I should have guided.. 😅

To check permissions for Spotify (and any other program you install), you'll need to open your software manager, find Spotify and click on it and click on the "Permissions" button, which will open the thing I showed earlier. 🙂

image.png

This is how it looks like for me at least, in Software.

SebastySpotify Star

Lol I'm running Pop_OS. And when it cried to me that I needed to transition to flatpak everything died. And now when I purge the install and try to reinstall it from the spotify.com repos it won't work. So sad face 😞

@Rover0 

What error messages do you receive?

Also, you can use the web player while searching for the solution... 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

@Sebasty
Hey, thanks for your reply!

This is what I get when I launch Spotify in terminal and click on add source under local files:
[1] 7800 segmentation fault (core dumped) spotify

@Rover0 

Could you try if you can change your playlist cover picture or profile picture? 🙂

I am not sure what's going on here, but it seems that for some reason opening the file browser to get anything for Spotify (local files, pictures) is not working.

SebastySpotify Star

Just tried changing a playlist cover, same thing happened, it crashed 😕

Ahh..well, because I'm on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, that's not quite how it looked for me. 

endermanagement_0-1602421399896.png

Do you (or anyone) know how you would change all of Spotify's permissions without the software-manager (or on Linux-Mint Cinnamon 20, at least)? 

Me neither (Pop!_OS)

Aye, checked it now, too, the file browser seems to be the problem. I get a Segmentation Fault and the log provides no info at all, the last entry in the log was 5 seconds before I clicked the button to change the playlist cover. And as previously stated, I get no trace log. Also Ubuntu 20.04.1, btw. I'll have a look if I can make a bug report or something similar, I have the feeling this resolved topic will not be looked at by the devs 😄
Thanks for your help, @Sebasty!

edit: I now realize that this is as close to a bug report as I might get -.-

I thought I'd try to add a source directly into a config file or so and started a reddit thread to help me with that. I'll let you know how if I made any progress!
https://www.reddit.com/r/truespotify/comments/j9o8pm/help_needed_adding_local_file_sources_directly_...

Suggested posts