Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ubuntu desktop client crashes when I try to play a local file

Solved!

Ubuntu desktop client crashes when I try to play a local file

Hi everybody,

I became a premium user last month and I'd like to use the local files feature.

I use ubuntu 15.04 and spotify ubuntu client 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce. When I add new (and only) local file source (setting -> show songs from), the files (mp3) are diplayed in Local Files tab. The local files source is an absolute path to a directory containing mp3s and directories of mp3s.

However, anytime I try to play any local song, the client crashes without any error. For that reason I tried to run the client from the command line in order to figure out what's happening and I got this:

[1] 13723 segmentation fault (core dumped) spotify

Could you help me determine what I am doing wrong?

Thanks, Petr

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Crash on local files for Ubuntu version later than 14.04 is unfortunately a known, but still not fixed problem.

You can workaround it by installing libavcodec54 and libavformat54 from Ubuntu 14.04 as described here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Unable-to-Add-a-Directory-to-Play-Lo...

Local files playback is still unstable with these older libraries (certain files can still make it crash), but at least it works better than what you experience now.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Crash on local files for Ubuntu version later than 14.04 is unfortunately a known, but still not fixed problem.

You can workaround it by installing libavcodec54 and libavformat54 from Ubuntu 14.04 as described here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Unable-to-Add-a-Directory-to-Play-Lo...

Local files playback is still unstable with these older libraries (certain files can still make it crash), but at least it works better than what you experience now.

great! it works!

In arch you need to install ffmpeg0.10 or other similar version. Check other version present in pacman.

Suggested posts