Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to login with Desktop client (response_type parameter is missing)

Solved!

Unable to login with Desktop client (response_type parameter is missing)

Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark

Operating System

Ubuntu 22.04

My Question or Issue

I have reinstalled my laptop with the latest Ubuntu LTS (22.04) and now every time I try to login with the spotify client I am getting the error: "response_type parameter is missing"

I have tried the snap, flatpak and deb version. I have also tried using username and password instead of Facebook

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I also had this issue on Arch Linux. I have an extension called Junction that shows the URL for any redirect made, so I just copied the login link to see what would happen, and when I pasted it in the browser, it said I was logged in on the desktop app and it seemed to work out fine. I will note that I already signed in to Spotify in my browser, so I don't know if the order in which you do it matters. Let me know if you still need help or if you figured it out already, because I would be happy to help more if need be.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi, not sure if this will help you, but I had the same issue on macOS with Safari. I switched standard browsers from Safari to Orion and that fixed it for me. Try changing browsers? 

Thanks for the input I have tried in both Firefox, Chrome and Edge. I have also tried in Private mode in all of the browsers, but the result is the same

Marked as solution

I also had this issue on Arch Linux. I have an extension called Junction that shows the URL for any redirect made, so I just copied the login link to see what would happen, and when I pasted it in the browser, it said I was logged in on the desktop app and it seemed to work out fine. I will note that I already signed in to Spotify in my browser, so I don't know if the order in which you do it matters. Let me know if you still need help or if you figured it out already, because I would be happy to help more if need be.

Hey dojogiraffe, I actually also have Junction installed, so I did what you described, but I also added the value, response_type=token to the end. It worked! I am unsure if I actually needed to add the parameter or not.

It looks like Spotify needs to add the parameter to their linux client

Thanks for the hint that Junction might be at fault. It seems like the URL passed to browsers attempts to decode encoded URLs so it messes up the login link sent to the browser. It doesn't happen when you copy paste the URL at the bottom of Junction. I submitted an issue on Github and it's been fixed now. Eventually the fix should reach flathub flatpak, AUR might be faster. Either way, the workaround is to use the full link at the bottom of Junction or just manually construct the URL like nnyegaard did

Suggested posts