Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to play any song on Spotify Desktop for Ubuntu

Solved!

Unable to play any song on Spotify Desktop for Ubuntu

Good evening everyone,

I can not seem to play any song at all on Spotify Desktop on my personal computer. It works a charm on my work computer (Ubuntu as well), as well as under windows and on the app but it simply won't work on this computer and I can not seem to understand why.

I have a Student Premium account, and I am trying to get it to work on a Ubuntu 18.04 computer.

I have searched online and tried updating ffmpeg, logging in and out, deleting the cache, unistalling and then reinstalling and it still won't play any song at all. When I try to play one it just displays the error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the song on your computer you can import it."

I have the spotify-dump file from advanced troubleshooting 4 in this thread, if it helps in any way I can send it.

If you have any idea as to what the problem is, your input will be much appreciated, thank you !

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Sebasty,

I had tried that and it didn't work, but I just fixed the issue.

I had installed spotify using snap ; I deleted and reinstalled it by building it from source and it is working now !

Thank you very much anyway !

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey @Bloodonourknees 

Are you still having this issue?

If yes, you could try disabling local files, then close Spotify and find the file named "local-files" in the directory Spotify has installed itself (snap/bin/Spotify/... or usr/bin/Spotify/...). If you found the file, delete it. Start Spotify again and see if it worked.

Another thing you can try doing is dabbling in your system's audio settings. See if you can make your preferred audio device default.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

Hey @Sebasty,

I had tried that and it didn't work, but I just fixed the issue.

I had installed spotify using snap ; I deleted and reinstalled it by building it from source and it is working now !

Thank you very much anyway !

Hey @bloodonourknees,

I'm having the same problem. Recently installed Ubuntu 22.04.2 and not able to play any song in Spotify.  Also gives me the same message: 'Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it.'

I have tried reinstalling using snap but this did not work. What did you mean by 'building it from source', which seemed to solve it for you?

Thanks

Suggested posts