Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

adding an album to the queue adds it to the front of the queue

adding an album to the queue adds it to the front of the queue

The queue does not work as it should be.  

Scenario:

When playing an album, you search for an artist and click the play symbol on one of the albums, it starts to play. I decide to add an other album to the queue. When I click the three dots and select add to queue, at the end of the current song the app will start playing the last selected album instead of first playing the rest of the current album and then playing all the tracks of the second album.  

Noticed error:

The play queue is added to at the top. 

Correct behaviour:

new Albums or tracks should be added to the end of the play queue and not at the top. The order of albums matters. Or when at a party it's only fair that newly selected songs don't play immedeately 

Versions:

I have noticed this behaviour on all recent clients on  Windows, Linux, or android, this makes me believe the this is a design error.

6 Replies

Hey @ErwinBaeyens,

I think this is how the queue is supposed to work.

To solve your problem create a playlist and add the two albums to this playlist or add both albums to you queue than they will play one after another.

Have a nice day.

LK608

LukeSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

No this is not how a queue is supposed to work. Would you appreciate it that when you are standing in a queue at a store that all the persons that  enter after you get served  before you are served?  
As for making a playlist, me, like many other people use spotity while working, That means that I select some albums aI want to hear and start working, I don't want to spend a lot of time making playlists. Also and I made the complaint more specific to albums. When I select an album to play I want to hear the full album in the order it was made, Not some song and then another album and then the rest of the album,

If you think the queue feature should be like you said, you can add this to the ideas tab in the community!

LukeSpotify Star

As far as I remember, the play queue has always worked this way:

I play an album and then queue some songs or another album. When the currently playing song finishes, the queued things will be played, and when the queue has been played through, it will continue with the album I was originally playing.

To me it seems like all these albums and playlists I'm playing without queueing are the background queue which I can't alter in the Play Queue (despite the fact there is a button for removing it from the 'queue'), it gets played as is.

The 'real' queue, however, seems to get the priority.

I suppose @Luke's suggestion about posting an idea about your queue preferences is the best way, really. 🙂

I ended up queuing albums whilst playing random playlists.

SebastySpotify Star

I had the same issue when a Mike Oldfield album was added to the queue in the middle of - and disrupting - and excellent Willie Nelson album.

I cleared the queue removing its muddled  contents and started from scratch.

Looked up several albums via the “Search” function and tapping on the three vertical dots (next to the album artwork) then selecting “+add to queue”.

This time the issue seems to have gone away as four albums seem to be queued logically this time around.

I am uncertain why the issue went away or if I may inadvertently trigger its return at some point.

I personally don't grok the reason for seemingly 2 distinct queues -- the 'next in queue' list and the 'next up' list. Why not just one queue? Can you lay out a use case for me where having 2 queues is a beneficial feature and not just an absurdity? 

Suggested posts