Adding local files to "songs" playlist...

Solved!

Adding local files to "songs" playlist...

bearhead
Regular

It's been a while since I've been on these forums. The last time I was on here, everyone was talking about how the library feature disappeared. I wound up sticking with the previous version of Spotify because the new version was too much of a hassle. This was back in April, nearly 8 months ago. It still seems there is no way to keep both of them together. This is a huge disadvantage for someone like me as I typically listen on shuffle mode because I have way too much music to sift through. It's easier to do it this way. But without the library feature, or a similar feature, Spotify almost seems useless to me.

I would continue to use the older version, but I just updated to OS X 10.10, and I can't get it to work.

Is there any hack or any 3rd party program I can use for this? It was a pretty stupid move on Spotify's part to remove such a useful feature.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Adding local files to "songs" playlist...

shannen12201

Hey, a bit late, but I found that you can actually add local files to your "songs" playlist through your phone or device, I accidentally found this out. 

1. While listening to the song on your computer, open spotify on your phone. (I pressed the option to continue listening on my computer, not sure if that matters)

2. Add the song through your phone and it should appear in your "songs" playlist. I also have premium and was able to download and play it like any other song. 

Side note: I don't know if they added this recently but I still can't add local files from my computer like you guys brought up 

Solution!

gronini
Regular

On MAC (MacBookPro, OSX) I found a way to easily move ALL your local files to a playlist without having to do it one track a time.

1 - go to Local Files

2 - click on the first track (don't play it, just click once)

3 - push Shift

4 - scroll down to the last track you want

5 - click one time (still with the Shift key pressed) on the last track

6 - always keep Shift pressed and press Ctrl key

7 - in the window that open with some options choose add to Playlist

:)

8 Replies

Soltanis
Roadie

Suggestion:

My suggestion would be to move into playlists, all the local music and catalogue music you are wanting to listen to.

I hope the following helps you, I have tried to suggest something to the best of my knowledge of your problem, if I haven't fully answered your question or you don't understand anything, feel free to reply and provide more detail and I am sure we should be able to help you further.

Easily Moving Tracks From Local Files to Playlists

moving tracks from local files or songs lists, can be done quick and easy by clicking the local files or songs list and then selecting a single song (this brings the list into focus) and then pressing Ctrl+A (Command + A) to select all.

You can then either drag and drop the tracks into a playlist, or right click (command + Click) the list and click add to.. then select new playlist or the name of the playlist you wish to add songs to.

You can then form the playlists or multiple playlists how you wish to your hearts content.

Shuffling Multiple Playlists

It is possible to shuffle multiple playlists by putting the playlists into folders.

Then clicking the folders to the playlists into the play queue.

You can then shuffle this large playlist as normal.

Easily Locating Newly Added Local Music

If you later add more local music and wish to add them to the playlist quickly, you can sort the local file list by date added, and then select just the ones added recently, and then add them straight into the playlist.

Extra Tip: Playlist Filtering

Playlist getting a bit big? looking for a specific song or artist?. Although a little bit hidden, you can easily filter playlists to find a song you are wanting, select a song on the playlist to bring the playlist into focus, then press Ctrl+F (Mac: Command + F or Edit Menu -> Filter at the top, this will bring up a filter dialog box at the top of the playlist, you can then type into here and the playlist will filter out anything doesn't match the text.

bearhead
Regular

Thank you for the suggestions, but nothing seems to really be doing the trick. Spotify has a cap on how many songs you can add to a playlist, and I go over that easy. I have roughly 6 playlists nearly capped worth of music, along with my local files (10k~).

Spotify really needs a way to combine local files and internet songs...

Solution!

shannen12201

Hey, a bit late, but I found that you can actually add local files to your "songs" playlist through your phone or device, I accidentally found this out. 

1. While listening to the song on your computer, open spotify on your phone. (I pressed the option to continue listening on my computer, not sure if that matters)

2. Add the song through your phone and it should appear in your "songs" playlist. I also have premium and was able to download and play it like any other song. 

Side note: I don't know if they added this recently but I still can't add local files from my computer like you guys brought up 

kramer27182
Music Fan

Thank you! This does seem to work, but I have quite abit of local music and it is a pain to add it a song at a time.

TwitchingGun

You saved me bud. Thanks so much.

Solution!

gronini
Regular

On MAC (MacBookPro, OSX) I found a way to easily move ALL your local files to a playlist without having to do it one track a time.

1 - go to Local Files

2 - click on the first track (don't play it, just click once)

3 - push Shift

4 - scroll down to the last track you want

5 - click one time (still with the Shift key pressed) on the last track

6 - always keep Shift pressed and press Ctrl key

7 - in the window that open with some options choose add to Playlist

:)

o_O-ViPER
Casual Listener

Thank you soooooo much ! I did it previously but forgot how to do it, thanks for the detailled explaination !

gronini
Regular

You're welcome ! Glad to know that it works fine this way !

SUGGESTED POSTS