Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[BUG] Sort by Song Title

[BUG] Sort by Song Title

The sorting of songs by title is broken. Song titles that begin with "A" or "The" get sorted by the second word, not the A, or T respectively. This should be a BUG. The song should be CONSISTENTLY sorted starting from the first letter. Song titles that being with "I" and "It" are sorted correctly, so it doesn't make sense to me why "A" and "The" are treated any differently. Please fix this bug.

2 Replies

Hey @an77

This is the expected behavior and it is not a bug.

"A" and "The" used to be sorted by the first letter of the word, but this was changed about a year ago to ignore "A" and "The". I reported the bug too but I was told it was changed on purpose. The reasoning was that a lot of songs have "A" and "The" in the titles so much that it should be ignored.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This is inconsistent behavior which ultimately results in a bad user experience. Why A and The? Why not I and It? Who chooses which words count and which don't? Even if A and The appear many times as starting words for a song, the correct alphabetization of a song should include the starting word. How am I to know which words are ignored and which aren't? Consistency always wins. I hope Spotify fixes this.

Suggested posts