Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Not sending data to Discord or scrobbling to Last.fm unless Browser Client is also open

Solved!

[Desktop] Not sending data to Discord or scrobbling to Last.fm unless Browser Client is also open

Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

iMac Retina 4K - 21.5" - 2017

Operating System

Mac 10.14.1

My Question or Issue

Spotify Desktop app isn't sending any data to auxiliary app connections unless open.spotify.com is also open, but the problem with that is that it's doubling my scrobbles. (Oh yeah, and it's also really convoluted and annoying to do every time) 

If I'm playing something and then close the browser client, my Discord and Last.fm still show that song as actively playing, even when paused, after it's finished, or a different track is now playing. My Desktop Client feels like it's in constant offline/private mode even though it's not. This problem has continued through multiple reinstalls.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Sorry for taking a while to respond again, but yeah, going toggling offline mode a couple times seems to do the trick, especially after some songs have naturally come and gone. Still more annoying that just having it work off the bat, but I only have to do it once and it works the rest of the session, so I'm satisfied enough to not care anymore.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a it repetitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

I'd also recommend updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.3

Could you also try this on a new user account on your Mac?

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

The problem has continued through multiple restarts, sometimes when my computer is left logged in for the longest it actually starts working by itself, like right now. Like I said in the post, the issue has continued and even gotten worse through reinstalling, though I'm not 100% sure that I did a CLEAN reinstall

Absolutely no way I can update my OS quite yet, unless you have something to contradict it; I'm being told every time I open an app that updating my OS will effectively brick it, and that perfectly fine 64-bit apps aren't "optimized" to 64-bit. But that's not a Spotify issue, just an OSX issue.

My Spotify version is 1.0.99.250.g936eab8d, and I'm not sure how I can give you better OS info, it's 10.14.1

Hey @yz4-4d0_rgp8p,

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Could you try doing that on another user account on your Mac?

Also, does it help if you modify the hosts file using this guide?

Please let me know.

The problem's come back after the Spotify client restarted itself sometime last night, and yet again I can open up the Web Player to bodge a solution. I changed the hosts file, and it's not seeming to help at all, is it time to clean reinstall?

Hey @yz4-4d0_rgp8p,

Sorry that didn't help.

Could you try doing that on another user account on your Mac?

If you haven't done a clean reinstall yet, follow this guide.

Thanks! 🙂

I updated the client, and found where the Offline Mode setting is, I just flicked that on and off again and it seems the problem fixed itself, kinda. It's not showing up on Discord after one song finishes and it moves on to the next, but my Last.fm is scrobbling, just slowly (these might be last.fm-side and discord-side issues though, not sure.)

I think I should be good for now, but I'll make sure to reinstall and post again if the issue comes back.

Yeah, Discord isn't showing at all and Last.fm is only putting in scrobbles every once in a while, putting in an entire back catalogue of scrobbles at a time every few hours. Not exactly filling me with confidence, but at least it's something. I'm gonna see where this goes in a few days time just to get some sample size, thanks for all the advice so far!

Marked as solution

Sorry for taking a while to respond again, but yeah, going toggling offline mode a couple times seems to do the trick, especially after some songs have naturally come and gone. Still more annoying that just having it work off the bat, but I only have to do it once and it works the rest of the session, so I'm satisfied enough to not care anymore.

I think it may be because your song queue is overfull it does that, try copying your queue into a playlist and playing from there it should work better ! hope this helped because I had the same issue 🙂

Suggested posts