Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to limit cache size?

Solved!

How to limit cache size?

Today I found an 8 GB cache folder (in /Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/Data) and deleted it. It seems that every time I listen to a song, it gets cached. I looked it up and found that setting the storage.size field in /Application Support/Spotify/prefs.txt would put a cap on how large the cache could get. I set it to 50 megabytes, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. As I continue listening to new songs, the folder gets up to about 100 MB, but does fluctuate downward to about 55. Since its maximum size doesn't seem to be related to the setting I changed, I'm worried it'll keep growing. How can I set a firm limit on the cache size?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I figured out a solution on MacOS.

1. Close Spotify.

2. Locate the Spotify prefs file:

~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/prefs

3. Open the file in your favorite text editor (I prefer Sublime Text)

4. Add another line and put a value in megabytes right after the equals sign. I chose 1024mb.

storage.size=1024

5. Relaunch Spotify. You will see your cache has shrunk to the specified size.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I also have a similar issue but my cache folder was 5 GB. I need to put it somewhere else because Spotify is on my SSD and there's not enough room to support a fluctuating Data folder. 

Ever find an answer to this?

Marked as solution

I figured out a solution on MacOS.

1. Close Spotify.

2. Locate the Spotify prefs file:

~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/prefs

3. Open the file in your favorite text editor (I prefer Sublime Text)

4. Add another line and put a value in megabytes right after the equals sign. I chose 1024mb.

storage.size=1024

5. Relaunch Spotify. You will see your cache has shrunk to the specified size.

LIFESAVER.

Dropped from 9GB to 1.54GB (I used your 1024mb recommendation).

Glad to hear it's helpful!

Suggested posts