Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac] Spotify uses 90% minimum when idle among other things

Solved!

[Mac] Spotify uses 90% minimum when idle among other things

I have been using spotify premium for about a year now, mostly on my Mac and iPhone, but I have it for Linux, windows and iPad (pretty much everything), I also have a fair amount of technical knowledge.

ISSUE 1:

I have just spent three weeks away from my Mac. The first thing I did was open Spotify. I noticed my computer was hot and firgured it was just behind the scenes OS stuff catching up. The fans kicked in and my computer did not cool down, so opened activity monitor and Spotify was using 101% of my CPU and about 100MiB RAM. I was a little surprised but after a little research I concluded my client could be either updating or doing something with the cache, at the time I did not check my network usage, but I tried reducing my cache size from the 10% free disk space option to 1GB and left my computer for an hour. I came back, no change. I reverted that change. It was getting late and my CPU was still at 100% so I closed every non-system process I could except Spotify and setup my cooling pad. I let my computer run without sleeping for about eleven hours and Spotify was still using 100% CPU. I tried more research but could find nothing helpful. I am using the latest vers. of Spotify and the CPU usage does not seem to change much wether I'm listening to music or not. 

ISSUE 2:

This also seems to be new with the update. The Search bar seems to be functioning incorrectly, but I do not know how to describe it so I will give an example: Let's say I type in Daft (I tend to be lazy, so instead of typing Daft Punk, I rely on the search feature to provide me with a few options). Normally, I would be able to click on the top "Daft Punk" option or navigate with the arrow keys and press enter to select it but pressing enter sends the query "Daft".

ISSUE 3:

This is new. Refer to the picture above and notice that the thumbnails have not loaded, nor did they load for at least ten minutes. The same thing happens with Artist profiles, Spotify profiles(including mine), and Facebook profile pictures, however the search page for "Daft" or anything else loads instantly and there is no delay in streaming music that I have never listened to before. It is not my network, just trust me.

ISSUE 4:

I am not sure if this is new or not. The bar above playlists takes an INCREDIBLY long time to load or somethimes does not load at all.

Here's what is should look like

Here's what it does look like

SYSTEM SPECS:

the Mid-2010 macbook pro 15" with problems

-OSX: 10.8.4

-Spotify: 0.9.2.18

-CPU: 2.4 quad-core 1st gen i5 

-RAM: 8GB

-HDD:50GB free space

The early-2013 iMac

-OSX: 10.8.4g

-CPU: 2.7 quad-core 3rd gen i5

-RAM: 8gb

-HDD:800GB free space

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

Couldn't help but notice your client version is 0.9.2.18, that is a new-release that went out by mistake and has several known issues. 

Can you try a clean reinstallation which will drop you back down to stable 0.9.1.57 and see if you still have these issues? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

As for number 1, unfortunately this is a bug outlined here. Feel free to add details over there to help Spotify identify the issue,

For the rest of them unortunately, I'm a windows user so I can't offer any direct help about how to fix it, but I'll escalate this topic to the staff at Spotify for you (as it's so detailed, it will make it easier for them to see exactly what's happening), and hopefully they'll be able to either register it as a bug or alert you as to how to fix it.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

Couldn't help but notice your client version is 0.9.2.18, that is a new-release that went out by mistake and has several known issues. 

Can you try a clean reinstallation which will drop you back down to stable 0.9.1.57 and see if you still have these issues? 

Peter

Peter

Thank you! I reverted to .9.1.57 and all issues were fixed. I'm surprised that more people haven't brought this up yet.

@paulthepoptart wrote:

Thank you! I reverted to .9.1.57 and all issues were fixed. I'm surprised that more people haven't brought this up yet.

Most people where automatically rolled back to 0.9.1.57 after 0.9.2.x was recalled. 😉

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts