Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio repeating songs way too often

Solved!

Radio repeating songs way too often

I've seen many similar posts on here about related issues but I still feel compelled to throw this out there.

I love Spotify and use the Radio feature all the time, but it's incredibly frustrating that my custom stations play the same songs over and over again. It's almost like I'm listening to a set playlist and not hearing new music at all. Sometimes I'll hear the same song 3 times in a few hours. Not often so whatever. But consistently, I'm just hitting skip because I've hear the same songs every time I put that station on.

If I want to keep hearing the sames songs, I will take advantage of the other features Spotify offers, like adding music or checking the thumbs up list.

Maybe I feel the Radio feature should be geared more towards music discovery, rarely replaying songs at all, even if you liked them. It seems like 90% of what I hear is repeated music and 10% is new, and I feel it should be the opposite. I'm looking for an Actor/Model system.. and not the other way around. Sorry, I'm getting carried away.

Anyway, my thoughts. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

or settings option like "play all songs in playlist before repeating a song"

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Radio repeating tracks is also an open bug:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Bugs/Android-Desktop-Radio-repeats-tracks/td-p/241950

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It's not that bug Peter. Music keeps flowing, but eventually all you get is the same set of songs.

I ended up adding all the tracks from the "Rock" radio station to my playlist called "Rock" so I can keep them offline since no new track pops up ever. I wasn't expect "Rock" radio station to be a set of 42 tracks, but that's what Spotify pushes to me. And yes I do like and dislike tracks along the way, that's all I got now.

I too was hoping a sort of music discovery radio. I tried deezer, rdio and left because of the lack of music discovery. Now I'm stuck on the same issue on spotify, but I'm still rooting for it.

I think this may be a bit different - this does not happen "after a while", it happens every time I play the station.  In short, it's not a station anymore, it's a playlist that plays exactly the same songs every time, from the start.

Yep agreed. I have to constantly downrate songs to attempt to get a selection.

Is there any way we can set spotify to use a varied range of songs, and not necessarily the most popular songs? May as well listen to FM radio if it keeps going like this.

For me this is a big annoyance and I'm not willing to pay a monthly fee to be annoyed multiple times an hour.  It is not at all uncommon for Spotify to play the same song 3 times in a very short time.  I even sometimes hear the same song twice in a row.  You'd think a 3 year old is arranging the play list instead of a computer.

Spotify support says the only solution is to give songs I don't want to hear repeatedly a thumbs down.  That's not a solution because I want to hear those songs again.  While I am sitting here writing this Spotify is repeating a song that has already played twice this morning.

Other radio services, even free ones do not have this issue and I am cancelling my Spotify subscription because of it. 

Speaking of bugs, it looks like the forum has some big ones too.  This was added to my post after a minor edit:

<script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script>

Yep. I'm moving on also.

• Deezer
  • Rdio
  • Spotify
  • Pandora
  • Google

I had been using Google's service for the past 6 months and switched to Spotify because there were some annoying bugs and I thought the Spotify app would be better.  It turns out the bugs in Google's android app are minor compared to Spotify's.

Agree. I thought Spotify was tha bomb. Tried it, thought it was good, until the radio wasn't radio. 

I don't know what I like conscerning new stuff... That is why I must have a radio! I'm over to Google Play Music! Too bad app support without android isn't all that great, but ey, the Radio works (even with a refresh button)!

I completely agree, the "Classical" station has been playing the same ten songs over and over again for months. 

Almost three years later and this is still a problem. Over the course of a day I will here the same songs 4-5 times, even though the radio has dozens of artists with thousands of songs in their discographies. Spotify only seems to pick the most popular song for each artist and then plays that over, and over, and over. I end up having to thumb down a song I actually used to like just so I don't have to listen to it multiple times every single day. 

Spotify should implement a button, shaped as a clock, that says "Play this song less often." It can even have multiples. The first time I hit it for a song, don't play that song for 24 hours. The second time, 3 days, the third, a week, and so on, up to a month or so. 

Marked as solution

or settings option like "play all songs in playlist before repeating a song"

Suggested posts