NEXT STEP

Screen flickering when running the Desktop app of Spotify on Mac Os

Screen flickering when running the Desktop app of Spotify on Mac Os

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Mac Pro Late 2013, 3GHz 8-core Xeon E5, 32 GB ram, AMD FirePro 3500 3GB graphics card

Operating System

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1 

My Question or Issue

Since about a month I have a very annoying issue in that when I use the desktop client of Spotify the screen starts to flicker, with stripes blipping on and off on the scren in a very annoying fashion. This only happens when music is playing and the Spotify app is open. The flickering goes away if I minimize the spotify app. Furthermore it doesn't appear at all when running the web player, so this is something that relates to the desktop app itself. 

I've already tried to do a clean install (completely remove Spotify following the instructions on the spotify community website for a complete deinstall), but the flickering is still occuring. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

5 Replies

Hey @RBerntsson, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you try disabling Hardware Acceleration by going into the Spotify menu in the Menu bar next to the  logo?

Also, I'd suggest updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Thanks 🙂

Hi @Loxer,

Thanks for the suggestions. However, neither updating to the macOS 10.14.6 or turning off hardware acceleration helped with the issue..
More suggestions are very welcome 🙂

Cheers,
Ronnie

to keep this thread alive:

I also have the same issue, but it's a little bit more complicated.

When I have the desktop app open, the screen starts flickering after some time. The amount and strength of the flicker depends on the scroll position of the current page. Also, after shutting down or restarting the mac, there are apparent 'ghosts' of the spotify window on every other desktop app, aside from the constant flickering. It almost looks like the graphics aren't disposed of properly or that some kind of graphical 'cache' isn't being emptied.

I also disabled hardware acceleration, but this doesn't help. I almost thought it was the monitor that was acting strangely, even though the monitor is brand new.

It has been a few months and i still haven't heard from support.

Exactly the same issue here with the flickering, MacBook Pro with M3 Pro and LG 40WP95X-W monitor.

Suggested posts