Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect Broken: Randomly Pausing (Yamaha AVR, Gramofon, Panasonic, Samsung and others...)

Spotify Connect Broken: Randomly Pausing (Yamaha AVR, Gramofon, Panasonic, Samsung and others...)

Edited 8 May 2018 (original post below).

On ~3rd May Spotify Connect started randomly pausing (in my case on Yamaha hardware) on a range of devices - rendering their Spotify capbility unusuable.

We've since established that this is a problem affecting lots of devices from lots of manufacturers: which all points to something in the Spotify platform itself being at fault.

We do seem to be getting somewhere with recent reports that Spotify support and manufacturers are looking into this....

What you can do right now:

-Continue to tweet Spotify support if you're experiencing this - let them know the scale of the problem.

-Please continue to add updates to this thread.

-Tag your affected device in your post to associate it with this thread.

-Contact your device manufacturer to let them know.

Original post:

---

Hi,

For the last few days Spotify connect has started randomly pausing when playing on my Yamaha RX-V483 AV receiver. Firrmware version 1.28 and using Spotify connect from OS X, app version 1.0.77.338.g758ebd78 or iOS 8.4.51.696.

Playback on the app itself is fine. The Yamaha unit has a wired LAN connection, and I can observe from the traffic monitor on my router that it just stops streaming audio at random. It has been flawless forever until ~3 May.

On twitter @spotifycares advised me to try logging out and in of all devices, and they also 'reset my offline cache' which didn't help.

Others on twitter seem to be having similar issues, e.g: https://twitter.com/hydroxyde/status/992415130511118337

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/992696323064418305

The latest response from @spotifycares is that my amplifier 'no longer supports spotify connect'. It's a bit ridiculous if this is the case. I've received no notice from Spotify or Yamaha.

I'd be interested in hearing from other who are experiencing similar problems.

This needs taking up with Spotify/Yamaha if support has been silently dropped!

271 Replies

They did it again 😞

Coming back home at noon, I had to update my firmware on the AVR. After that, the same procedure started again. Shutting down Spotify connect after 2 - 4 songs. Restarting gets a bit better than the last time, going fwd or back in the tunes, it starts again with play.

Cannot believe this.

Is anybody in contact with Yamaha?

Yamaha UK are on this, but it is a Spotify issue. Once they come back to me with some details I'll post here.

@enderst  schrieb:

My problems started 2 weeks before with the broken coonection to my Yamaha RV681 which is connected via wired LAN to my FritzBox. I thinke that the RV681 isn't on the list of 'not supported devices'.

Dos anybody know if we have chance that the problems will be solved in the near future ?

I had the same when coming back home today. Had to go to the settings of the AVR and do a firmware update.

It's not fixed 😞

Still not fixed. Did play for 1 hour and 20 minutes then paused but the iOS app indicated the song still was playing but no sound on my AVR. Switched back to play on iPhone and then back to the Onkyo - played for only 12 minutes then paused again. So sorry this is not fixed. Spotify need to address this with the highest priority! 

(I am using Onkyo TX-NR616)

same problem with my LG musicflow components (soundbars: sj9, dsh9 and loudspeakers: h7, h5 and h4) since 1week.

After restarting my router or / and loudspeaker / soundbar it works for 2-4 songs. 

Then it becomes worse and I'm not able to play just one song. 

After pressing play button playback stops after a few seconds.

Problem occures with app on iphone and with desktop app on mac os.

Would great if spotify could provide a bugfix.

no problems with e.g. tunein playback.

Same issue here on the Philips SW700M/05 – has been ongoing for the last week or so.

I've tried reinstalling Spotify, logging out/in again, setting up the speaker from factory settings, all to no joy.

Demoralizing...

Yesterday everything seemed fine on my WXC-50 with Spotify Connect, and today the problem is back, like all of you guys. It's even worse than before, the music stops after just a few seconds.

I'm playing Spotify with Airplay, no issue...

It's unbelievable that Spotify IT Team could make modifications directly in production without testing in dev or acceptance environments....

Perhaps I could apply as IT Director at Spotify 🙂

I think Deezer company directors must have big smiles these days....

Just discovered that, as well as superior sound quality, I can play podcasts from the Deezer iPad app...   so the temptation to make the move from Spotify is growing.

Come on Spotify... a music streaming product really needs to, er, stream music...

Hi. I have the same problem here with my Gramofon. I'm going Crazy.

The issue seems to be fixed on my Yamaha r-n602 when I removed the MusicCast Controller app from my Android phone. Yesterday, I restored the amp to its factory settings and it was not recognized anymore by this MusicCast app. I decided to remove the app because it asked for GPS to be enabled during Yamaha device setup, which seemed strange to me. I don't like being spied on by he apps I am using. Do you, Yamaha owners, use Spotify with the Yamaha app too? If yes, then could you try removing it?

@gmykala  schrieb:

Do you, Yamaha owners, use Spotify with the Yamaha app too? If yes, then could you try removing it?

Sorry, I won't. With both apps (MusicCast and AV Controller) I manage all my music and video output. 

After some back and forth with @spotifycares on Twitter mainly going through obvious but probably necessary trouble shooting steps, they finally asked me to DM them my username. After giving me advice to turn off “show local devices only” in the devices setup menu (it was turned off but I toggled it on / off) it now seems to stream again without pausing randomly. Played music for 4-5 hours now without any pausing accruing. 

Lets hope it stays this way. 

They might have reseted something in my account, but it seems to have worked. 

Me too! Lets hope for the best...

I have been able to play music on my ONKYO TX-NR616 for over 3 hours now, that is a new record for the last couple of days so I really hope this means the problem is solved! 🙂

Of course a little too early to say yes or no. I will continue to play music tomorrow. I keep you guys in the loop!

One little thing I have made different now (not sure if that have anything to do with it but I mention it anyway if it helps you can thank me later LOL) I logged in with my Spotify username instead of Facebook sign in.

Yep, it works. 2 hours without any unwanted pause. The only thing I did it was switch on and off again option "show only local devices" but have no idea if it helped or some action on Spotify side.

Hope this time it won't back again.

Sounds good. I'll be testing all day at work again today.

Let you guys know...

Still working. Listening to some good jazz and drinking my morning coffee. Life’s good with music!

Seems to be working again here too.

Haven't managed to soak test for >1 hour continously at the moment, but managed to clock up a few separate sets of continous playback last night and this morning. 

As with some of the previous posts, @spotifycares advised me to use the devices menu (not available on the desktop app) to make sure 'show local devices only' was turned off. But (a) it already was turned off, (b) things were working without changing it, (c) I'm not sure how that's relevant to the desktop app - which is what I was using to do most of my testing. I tried toggling it on and off on my phone anyway - it didn't seem to make any difference to playback stability.

As a side note - there seem to be a few new options in preferences recently - including the devices menu (unless I've been ignoring it!)....

Suggested posts