Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Solved!

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Hey everyone,

As we're rolling out a new release of Spotify for desktops - v0.8.4 - we're keen to stay on top of any bugs that may have crept in while we weren't looking. We hate bugs.

So if you're having problems please use the following template to report them in this thread. This will help our top tech boffins investigate the issue. And then we'll be able to whip out the bugspray.

Don't forget to try a reinstall first! So make sure you're on 0.8.4 before reporting this to us (check under Spotify > About Spotify)

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes/No

Has anything else helped at all?

eg. turning off gapless playback made it crash less often, etc.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Thanks for helping us make Spotify the best it can be.

Update: We pushed a fix to the most recent version of Spotify. So please try redownloading from www.spotify.com/download before reporting any issues.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
250 Replies

Description

Spotify freezes my entire computer. While surfing on Safari and by itself.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro 10.6.8 & 10.7.4 (It occurs under both operating systems since i though it was an OS problem i reinstalled the older but notice that it happens under both).

Did a reinstall help?

No

Safari freezes while using it. Kernel Panic occurs

Description

When a song finishes, the spotify is freezed

OSX Version

iMac running OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

Here's a backtrace for the segmentation fault:

http://pastebin.com/KneAPbwb

Description

While playing through a playlist, after a few songs Spotify will reach the end of the song and instead of moving to the next song, Spotify freezes. It's not always the same song or playlist, and there doesn't seem to be a number-of-songs-before-freezing pattern. There is no error message, just an endless pinwheel on the cursor. I can easily Force Quit and restart Spotify, and when I do, it always looks like the problem song was paused about 6/7 of the way through.

OSX Version

MacBook running 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

No, but I haven't really tried anything other than reinstalling

Description

OSX beachball displays every time I go to preferences.

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

Followed instructions for re-install including deleting the requested items but still have the same problem.

no - and can't turn off gapless playback 

no messages or popups just beachball and unable to do anything for about 5 minutes after each change of a preference in preferences. can't get "high quality streaming" to turn on.   

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Please fix this bug asap! Its really very very annoying and i will leave spotify if there is no fix soon.

Also this should never have passed your QA.

Description

Spotify keeps freezing at the end of songs. The number of played songs is random. Also it seems to be no matter if the current song or the next songs are played from local library or remote library. Found no way to reproduce the crash.

OSX Version

Mac Mini . Mac OSX 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

NO

NO

Description

Spotify freezes after playing 7-8 songs.

OSX Version

Macbook Air 10.7.4 

Did a reinstall help?

No

No.

This problem has gone on for almost 2 weeks.  There were no upgrades (unless it was automatic).  I really do love this product but how can their be no cause identified.  At least get us back to a previous Mod.  Pretty much sucks!

is there really no fix for this yet? i left my report in a different message, but i put ONE song in a playlist and have it set to repeat, but every time it gets to the end of the song spotify crashes, even if have the app set to 'offline mode'.

this sucks, and i'm assuming by the number of people that have read this post, more than who have commented are having problems, came here for answers, didn't find them, but don't want to be bothered creating an account on here to complain.

at least tell us what the problem might be, that you're working on it, that you acknowledge something's wrong, say something. or tell us where we can find an older version of the program to download while you figure out why you even published this crap update.

Description

Spotify freezes in the middle of playing songs, freezes after pausing, freezes while paused.

OSX Version

2012 Macbook Pro, Mac OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

No

Description

When a song end

OSX Version

MacBook (White) Max OS X Lion 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

I haven't tried yet

Description

Freezes in the middle of listening to songs for no reason; randomly

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

Nope

Description

Freezing occur at the end of a song. See Mac's twirling rainbow.  No pop-ups or other message.  Need a Force Quit.

OSX Version

10.7.4 iMac

Did a reinstall help?

Before reinstall the freeze happened about an hour after restart.  Reinstalled then only 24 hours to next freeze.

Reinstall gave me 24 hours without freeze.

Thanks for the reports guys. I don't have any news for you just yet but I'm sure we'll put all this info to good use.

We'll let you know when there's something more to say.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Description

After a few songs have played, once one song has finished.

OSX Version

iMac OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

Not changed any settings.

No pop-up messages appear.

Description

Spotify crashes after about 1-10 played songs after the song is over.

OSX Version

iMac 27" OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

unfortunately no.

Description

Crashes after about the 3rd or 4th song. Each time. When reopening app, once you hit "play," it starts playing from where it left off.

Also, always get the message "Failed to enable Spotify Social" each time.

OSX Version

Mac Pro and Macbook Air--both running OS X Lion

Did a reinstall help?

Sadly, no.

no.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

Description

Spotify  is freezing sometimes at the end of songs, sometimes mid-song. I get the spinning beach ball of death, and have to force quit.

OSX Version

10.7.4 iMac

Did a reinstall help?

No.

Nope, tried everything suggested in the forums. However crashes seem related to playing local files. I played music all day today with no crashes. Then after switching to a playlist with local files, it's crashed 3 times in 5 songs.  I'll test this theory further and report back.

Description

Spotify crashes (spinning beachball) at the end of playing a local track, usually.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

Turning off gapless playback didn't seem to help.

Description

Spotify  is freezing sometimes at the end of songs, sometimes mid-song. I get the spinning beach ball of death, and have to force quit.

OSX Version

10.7.4 build 11E53 Macbook Pro 13" (2010)

Did a reinstall help?

No.

No. Seems related to playing local files. In a mixed playlist, Spotify crashes when playing local files. Mostly at the end of the song, but sometimes also during a song.

Logfileshttp://pastebin.com/CNC0LV3J

Hey Richard.
Hoping you could have a quick look on my spotify problem.
Using spotify since start and its a big headace not been able to use it anymore..
So.
Spotify wont start after login. The software freezes, and it wont start. NO clue what does this.

Tried both spotify and facebook login. Had some trouble with rowmote app before, which blocked spotify, but this is uninstalled since long.
Im working on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.4
Best regards, Patrik Lindén, Sweden
patrik@patriklinden.se

Suggested posts