Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify *only* plays through Macbook speakers?

Solved!

Spotify *only* plays through Macbook speakers?

No matter what my computer's output settings are, the Spotify app will *always* play through my laptop's speakers. All other apps are able to be played through headphones, a bluetooth speaker, my Scarlett 18i8, etc. but no matter my output settings, Spotify will only play through built-in output.

I've tried a clean reinstall of the app and that didn't help. Have tried opening Spotify with an external device like headphones already connected and that didn't help either. Any insight? I am thoroughly bamboozled.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Macbook Pro 2019

Operating System

Mojave

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Solved! I used Rogue Amoeba's Loopback to route Spotify into a livestream I was running a few weeks ago. When I quit the program, it left the routing in place and defaulted to my Macbook speakers. I re-opened Loopback and turned off the alternate output and that fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Solved! I used Rogue Amoeba's Loopback to route Spotify into a livestream I was running a few weeks ago. When I quit the program, it left the routing in place and defaulted to my Macbook speakers. I re-opened Loopback and turned off the alternate output and that fixed the issue.

Had this same issue for ages and completely forgot that I'd routed Spotify through Loopback for testing a while ago. Even though Loopback wasn't open the routing was still in place.

None of the above helps a novice like me, my Bose Soundlinks work perfectly with Apple Music but not with Spotify, my AirPods work fine though, implies the Bose Bluetooth technology is **bleep**.

Today, I'm having no problems after starting by connecting my Bose speakers to my MacBook then playing Apple Music, I went to preferences under the Apple logo and clicked on the sound icon, from there I could select the Bose speakers.  I also elected to put the sound icon in the menu bar.  So far so good.

Hey @Songthrush,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

These types of issues are usually related to damaged stored cache from previous versions. We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far, but to be sure that we're on the same page - did you use these steps for a clean reinstall? They are more thorough than a regular one. That way you can make sure the cache is not causing this issue.

Also, make sure that the output device selected (while using the app) is the correct one by clicking the Volume icon in the lower right corner of your screen.

In case the issue persists, to keep investigating, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of the device involved, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts