Free

Country

Australia

Device

MacBook Air Early 2015

Operating System

Version 10.15.7

My Question or Issue

I've had issues with Spotify for a couple days now since updating the Desktop App. At first I was only able to play from select playlists (the more recently played ones), but I had issues playing songs I searched up. They would either play a little and then stop, or not start at all. I also couldn't add new songs to my playlists. My friend feed also disappeared, although I didn't unfollow anyone. 

I've tried deleting and downloading the app several times, and earlier today I was able to start songs, but they'd always freeze at 6 seconds. At some point, my recent playlists also became unable to be played. 

I'm still able to use Spotify on my iPhone 6, so I don't think it's an account problem.

I tried changing the wifi network and the problem persisted.

After performing a clean reinstall of the app (deleting from Cache and Application Support and restarting my laptop), the issues have worsened. All my liked songs disappeared and my playlists show as empty. When I try to play a song, it doesn't even start anymore. 

I would really appreciate help as I feel like I have tried everything I can find. Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.52.30 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.53.07 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.52.46 pm.png
2 Replies

Hi there @joannealicia00,

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for sharing with us all the steps you've tried. We recommend logging out from your account, restarting your MacBook, and logging back in. If that doesn't make any difference, can you try the web player and let us know if you see your Liked Songs there? Try to play some music too and tell us if it works fine.

Just to make sure that all the steps are covered, try running a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps you'll find here. Also, make sure to have enough storage space available on your MacBook and that the firewall isn't blocking Spotify.

Keep us posted. We'll be looking out for your reply.

Thanks Peter for your prompt reply and suggestions.

Spotify still wasn't working after the clean reinstall but I had an older version of Spotify (from 2017 I think) airdropped to my laptop and it's working fine for now. Perhaps my laptop was just too old for the newest version and was incompatible. I'm not sure if this new (old) version is still supported or downloadable for others, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Thank you again for your help, I appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 7.37.29 pm.png

Suggested posts