Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Use Spotify Connect with Mac or PC

Use Spotify Connect with Mac or PC

I don't understand why Spotify does not enable Spotify Connect on desktop computers. It effectively prevents you from using eg a Mac Mini as a media server, unless you want to use 3rd party software to control it remotely eg from an iPad. It also bugs me a little bit that Spotify never seems to have commented on this issue on this board or elsewhere.

If the reason is that Spotify has some kind of secret deal with Bluesound and Sonos with the objective of pushing the users to buy several of these devices, why not say so ??

It is great that I can select the speakers hooked up to a Sonos in the kitchen, but why can I not select to play via the Mac I have hooked up to the high-end stereo in the living room, where I have my music collection and lots of 24/192k music files stored ..... ????

I simply don't get it

9 Replies

They've indicated it will come but they never give timescales so I'm not sure what else they should say. No conspiracy but I imagine they have to prioritise their development and I would guess that there are far fewer users who will benefit from connect on desktops compared to other "wishes".

It is great that they have indicated it will come, but I think it is clear that we are a lot of Spotify users who fundamentally do not understand why it is so difficult to get this feature implemented. There are posts dating back more that one year on this subject. I posted again to make the point that it is a daily annoyance that Spotify does not have this implemented, and as I am a paying customer some some kind of official response from Spotify would be in order. 

You're paying for access to the music library. If you want an official response, please use the online contact form.  If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it by email and you will hear back from one of the team shortly.

Sorry, I pay for the music library AND the functionality of the applications Spotify make available. I will write to Spotify and let's see what they reply.

Spotify Connect works to control Spotiamp on your desktop (although unfortunately it is Windows only).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks to Joe for the hints on how to get Spotify to respond to a direct inquiry. This is what I got back from them:

- - Hi there,Thanks for your feedback.
We're always looking to bring Spotify to new hardware and devices. But we can’t say at this time when or if any specific releases will be out - we'd hate to let you down with promises we can't stick to!
As soon as we've got something to announce we'll let everyone know via the Spotify blog, so keep an eye out.

Best wishes, Gabriela - - 

Conclusion: Utterly useless and non-committal response, which to me indicates that they are NOT listening and NOT working on fixing this quite simple issue, which it is obvious that lots of Spotify subscribers is having a problem with. 

statistically, this is the number one concern and frustration with Spotify.  I have a friend who got hired to create an alternative app by a major software producer that solves this problem.  I don't think any of us will be using Spotify in another year or two.

Hi folks - I found this thead searching for an answer to the same original question.  It would appear that more recent versions of the Spotify app on OS X have added supported for Spotify Connect.  Given that the app upgrade process isn't entirely obvious or transparent, if you aren't seeing this capability yet, it could be that you are still running an older version of the app.  In any case, I'm running 1.0.1.1060.gc75ebdfd, and happily now streaming to my Connect device (Gramofon).

Hi,

Are you streaming your music from a PC or a Mac?

/Peter

Suggested posts