Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

how do i delete specific local files on a macbook?

how do i delete specific local files on a macbook?

i have some local files that i'd like to delete. i deleted the files from my mac but they still show up on spotify.
6 Replies

A tail wagging hello to you!

If you've deleted local files from your Mac but they still appear on Spotify, you may need to remove them from your Spotify library as well. Here are the steps to do so:

1. Open Spotify on your computer and go to your Library.
  2. Click on the "Local Files" option on the left-hand side of the screen.
  3. Find the files you want to remove and click on them to select them.
  4. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard or right-click and select "Remove from your Library."
  5. Spotify will ask you to confirm that you want to remove the selected files. Click "Yes" to confirm.

Once you've removed the local files from your Spotify library, they should no longer appear in your playlists or saved songs. Note that if the files were part of a playlist, you'll need to remove them from the playlist as well. Additionally, it may take a few moments for the changes to sync between your devices. If you're still seeing the files after following these steps, try logging out of Spotify and logging back in to refresh your library.

Don’t leave me howling at the wind, keep me posted on the situation!

-Prague the Dog

PragueSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

First of all, there isn't any DEL button on any mac keyboard as far as I can tell. And on top of that when right clicking the song, local file, there is absolutely no option to choose "remove from library" or "delete from this playlist". The local files are even not present at all on local harddisk anymore they have been removed from there completely. The only options shown when right clicking are add to play list, add to favorites, add to queue.

Hey @matsorbation!

Could you give this a shot to see if it does the trick: click on the local file you'd like to delete and press Fn + Backspace. You can also try this in the Web Player.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi. I have the same issue and this solution doesn't work. Also: on the web player the playlist local files isn't there, but on the local app the playlist still shows. 

Hey @sanneroemen,

Thanks for reaching out.

As a next step, you can also try clean reinstalling the app. This will force a resync and will probably solve the issue with your local files.

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

YES! this worked thank you!

Suggested posts